PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Install

Lita_Sur
August 3rd, 2008, 12:13 AM
I'm new with Linux. I got this Magazine ( The Linux Starter Pack )from work to find out how Linux works. This Magazine has a DVD where I can start my Computer from to Install Ubuntu. The very first time I boot my Computer straight from this DVD it works perfectly as the book shown, but after step 6 ( hard drive partitioning ) I stopped the installation, because I was not sure if I wanted to install at my C:drive. I changed my mind, becaus I have an extra hard drive & I just installed it. So I tried this installation again so I don't have to partitioned my hard drive where Windows is installed. As I started to boot from the dvd & I choose to install Ubuntu I got this black Screen with this message : BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5Ubuntu7) Built-in Shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)_

What now? Because the first time i boot straight from DVD I didn't get this message, but the steps to install Ubuntu.

Can someone help me please.

Regards, Carmelita

redraiderbum
August 3rd, 2008, 12:36 AM
If the live cd works, why not boot to the live cd and use the installer there?

Lita_Sur
August 3rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
That is what I did... boot from live CD

redraiderbum
August 3rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Ok so none of the boot options work? You always get it throwing this error?

If that is the case, did you change anything about the computer from the time it worked to the time it didn't? Other than the addition of a hard drive.

Lita_Sur
August 3rd, 2008, 01:06 AM
I Haven't change anything:(. That's why it's frustrating me now!
What does this message means, when dvd is loading after I choose for Start or Install Ubuntu :

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5Ubuntu7) Built-in Shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs)_

I think there is a command I need to type to go further.... or not?

Regards, Carmelita

redraiderbum
August 3rd, 2008, 01:14 AM
All I can do is refer you to this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=581746

Apparently for ubuntu to stop there is relatively common. If you try to take out that hard drive and boot the live cd does it work? If it does then maybe ubuntu does not like that hdd.

Lita_Sur
August 3rd, 2008, 01:27 AM
What I don't Understand is, that the very first time it boots correctly, cause I did follow all the steps untill I changed My mind.

But it is a good Idea. I will pull out my Windows HDD ( SATA1) and put my Extra HDD as Master, If This doesn't work it will be very sad than I am right now. Because I was so excited to use UBUNTU

Thanks a lot.

Lita_Sur
August 3rd, 2008, 02:00 AM
Hereby I want to inform you that it doesn't work. I pulled out my extra HDD and left the original SATA and the problem exist...
I give up Linux!
Thanks for ur help!

Regards Carmelita

redraiderbum
August 3rd, 2008, 02:12 AM
Well that's a bummer. If you really wanna try linux try downloading a fresh ubuntu copy and burning to a cd.

Lita_Sur
August 3rd, 2008, 04:25 AM
How can I do that?

I'm new & I really dont know how this thing are working..

Can you mail it to me please, cus i might forget using this help forum : clngadiman@gmail.com

Thanks a lot.

Have a good weekend.
Regards, Carmelita

xen-uno
August 3rd, 2008, 04:35 AM
See Sef's post here ...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=878349

Lita_Sur
August 4th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I Read Sef's Post.... But It Seems very complicated.
Is there any other Way I can try to install Ubuntu smoothly?
Please, can Anyone help me!

Regards, Carmelita

xen-uno
August 5th, 2008, 02:37 AM
No doubt ... it is complicated if it doesn't install properly off the Live CD. I'm not sure what to tell you other than try the Alternate disk, which can be even more complicated (mainly in regards to your hard disk partitions). Be patient ... if you build it, you will enjoy.

This page may be useful ...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation