PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video playback problem (entire screen goes black)

bcr821
August 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Ever since I've installed Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron I've had a video playback issue. It seems to be with just about any type of video file (wmv, avi, etc) when i try to play the video back sometimes the ENTIRE screen goes black. Nothing is responsive and the only way to get out of is hold my power button down until the laptop shuts down and then turn it back on.

Usually it only does this once and after i restart the computer i don't have the issue again for a while. However I just tried to open the same file three times in a row and had to restarted 3 times in a row and cannot get the video to play back.

I did a forum search and google search but the only thing i found was that the box where the video should be goes black which is not the problem i'm having. Like i said, the ENTIRE screen goes black as if the computer is shut down but not turned off. Anyone else have this problem?

bcr821
August 4th, 2008, 02:47 AM
bump? :(

voteforpedro36
August 4th, 2008, 02:51 AM
What are you using to try to play the video (Totem? mplayer? vlc?)?

bcr821
August 4th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Totem and VLC both produce the same results

ianfp
November 15th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I'm having the exact same problem. Ubuntu 8.04.1 running on an Acer 4630Z. I didn't have this problem on my Dell Inspiron 1300 (same OS). Is there any information I can post that would help diagnose this problem? Is there a bug in Launchpad for this (I wasn't able to find one).

- Ian

bcr821
November 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I'm having the exact same problem. Ubuntu 8.04.1 running on an Acer 4630Z. I didn't have this problem on my Dell Inspiron 1300 (same OS). Is there any information I can post that would help diagnose this problem? Is there a bug in Launchpad for this (I wasn't able to find one).

- Ian

Ian,

From what i can tell it's a problem with compiz. If i completely turn off compiz the problem will go away. I think it has something to do with the ****** onboard video i have. I seem to not run into this issue if i don't have compiz fusion enabled.

It's not the answer i wanted either but it seemed to solve the problem.

Hope this helps