PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Drive icons on desktop wander between bootups

xen-uno
August 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
I have (4) auto-mounted NTFS drives with icons arranged horizontally in lower right corner of the desktop. For some reason, 2 of them have wandered to top right after login. I line them back up and the same 2 have migrated again, after every login. I can't seem to make their position stick. Any ideas?

rainwalker
August 3rd, 2008, 12:21 AM
I have problems with icon arrangement too, but mine is with automatic placement. Mounted media will appear on top of icons I already have on the desktop, or things saved/moved there won't appear aligned with the other stuff. I think there needs to be an overhaul of Nautilus' management of the desktop :?

xen-uno
August 3rd, 2008, 12:55 AM
rain ... yours is an ongoing bug since 6.06 apparently ... https://bugs.launchpad.net/nautilus/+bug/40872

Mine might be related too. I've turned on Desktop>right click>Keep Aligned for alignment. Once done I turn it back off but it still scrambles the icons on login.

rainwalker
August 3rd, 2008, 12:59 AM
It's not just overlapping, though; it's general messiness.
I hate to say it, but I wish it was more like Windows. Icons will stay aligned on the SQUARE grid (Nautilus', at least for me, is more rectangular and uneven), you can click and drag to selct with the right mouse button (opening the right-click menu to apply to all selected), and icons always appear after the ones before it rather than in the middle of the desktop.
I do like Nautlus' mouseover audio previews, though...THAT is a neat feature :)