PDA

View Full Version : Guidelines for buying hardware...stuff to look out for.

Zensunni
November 9th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Most computer places nowadays are all just Compusmarts and CompUSA's. Having worked a while at one, I'd like to give a full guide for things to watch out for.

For one, warranty's are never what they appear. There's always a "physical damage" clause, which means that if any surface part on a product breaks, they won't replace it. In modoration this policy is fine, however, most companies abuse this, allowing their products to be devoid of any physical quality or longivity.

A perfect example of this is the new toshiba satallites and tecras (among other laptops going with the glassy screens). These screens are very brittle and I've had tonnes of people coming in SOL with broken screens. Sure, you have to be a little carefull with laptops, however, I think companies have a responsibility to make sure their "portable products" can withstand the abuse of being portable. What's worse is the options they give you after the fact. Want a new screen? That'll be 500$ please. Key fell out of your laptop? 200$!

Also, keep in mind that those extra warranty's you buy from these stores only start AFTER the manufacturer's warrenty. And, contrary to how easy it sounds, gettting a product replaced under it can take weeks. I've even seen up to a month.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these places hold no liability for the products they sell. All they go for is variety, cost, and popularity. Their selection is never determined by the quality of the product.

So, if you have a beef with the product after the first 30 days, you have to deal with the manufacturer. If the manufacturer doesn't have any contact information on their website, then you're SOL.

You should also consider the actual battery life as opposed to what's advertized. I have tonnes of people who buy laptops, Ipods and other portable devices only to find out that their battery life is 3/5 of the advertized leanth. That means for those iPods with a 14 hour advertized life, you're looking at only 7-9 hours. Oh, sure they advertize 14 hours, but their warrenty won't cover ipod battery life unless it's under 6 hours. I know that if I were a customer, this would sure grind my gears.

Also, keep in mind that these stores hire high school kids, so any technical information you receive is devoid of any authenticity. Take nothing they say for fact. In fact, when you go to the repairs department, only about half of them even have A+. Usually, they are just people that are up to date with warrenty information who book your computer in, not actual knowledgeable staff.

Hope that helps. I just hate watching people get screwed over by the system and having to be the guy that tells them so.

etc
November 9th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Remember, anything by Monster Cable is a overpriced, overhyped peice of crap.
Avoid ATi because of the crappy drivers for linux.

WildTangent
November 9th, 2005, 04:09 AM
That's exactly why I like small shops, like the one I work in. I make sure I let my boss know if he's ordered a crappy product. I also build most of the PCs and take care of about half the tech support, and I make sure its of the highest quality. Boy, doesn't this sound like a job interview...lol :) Anyway, my point is this...most independant stores will offer better quality of service over larger places. Futureshop for us Canadians isn't too bad, for a big chain. They replaced my PS2 no questions asked when I broke it :P

-Wild

Zensunni
November 9th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Yeah, that will be the target for my next job. I want a nice local store without all the corporate hassle, rules and guidelines.

BTW, that's an awesome avater!

Stormy Eyes
November 9th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Never, ever buy a PCI modem that carries a "designed for WIndows" label. If it's not a hardware modem, it's crap.

ThirdWorld
November 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM
i used to work for Compusa too in the late 90's in the middle of the IT boom and there was so much merchandise in the stores that was unbelivable, when i think about that time I like to call it the decade of the retarded computer consumer "faster CPU makes a better computer dude..... computers are obsolete after 4 months dude you need to upgrade it.... apple is slower, windows is better..."

Actually my worst memories come from time using windows 95 - 98. i literally lost all my information traying to install dungeons and dragons. Most of that crappy 3rd party components that said "designed for windows 98" actually never work with windows, and several people return them to the store including me.

when a product label read "designed for windows" it triggers sad memories and worries :D

newbie2
November 10th, 2005, 06:38 PM
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/47337/index.html

poofyhairguy
November 11th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Also, keep in mind that these stores hire high school kids, so any technical information you receive is devoid of any authenticity.

I know they have a clue when:

1. They tell me to buy my computer somewhere else (happened last time for me).

2. They try to talk me into AMD stuff when I look at Intel.

xequence
November 11th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Futureshop for us Canadians isn't too bad, for a big chain. They replaced my PS2 no questions asked when I broke it :P

I have had bad luck with quality from them. One mp3 player broke in 6 months, exchanged it, now it died 6 months after that. I am going to take it back within a week, and if this one dies in 6 months ill be extremly mad.

Things just arnt made to last.

Remember, anything by Monster Cable is a overpriced, overhyped peice of crap.
Arnt they the company with 1 foot cables for 150$?

Avoid ATi because of the crappy drivers for linux.

Unless you are a half life 2 fanatic.

Also, keep in mind that these stores hire high school kids, so any technical information you receive is devoid of any authenticity. Take nothing they say for fact. In fact, when you go to the repairs department, only about half of them even have A+. Usually, they are just people that are up to date with warrenty information who book your computer in, not actual knowledgeable staff.

Yea, I was told at futureshop that 48 KBps atrac3plus was as good quality as 128 KBps mp3. The sad thing is back then I believed them so I got the mp3 player, the other sad thing is I believed 128 KBps mp3 was CD quality.