PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu loads into Terminal, where's gnome desktop enviornment?

HaulnAce600cc
August 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Ubuntu was working just fine until I made two changes. (V 8.04) One recent change was I cleaned up the grub boot menu to get rid of all those extra Ubuntu selections. The second change was I followed this website ( ) (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting?highlight=%28speakers%29%7C%2 84%29) to "purge" and "reinstall" the linux sound base. I have never been able to get sound out of all 4 speakers which is really annoying and a topic for another discussion.

After I rebooted the startup process when as usual but after the loading graphic i get,
"kinit: name_to-dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/bunch of #'s I won't type out)"
"kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/b-uuid/same bunch of numbers"
"kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot"

Ubutu 8.04.1 mike-desktop tty1
mike-desktop login:

To me it appears as gnome has not loaded and I have no idea what I did or how to correct the problem. As you may have guessed I'm not exactly command prompt savy. I know just enough to get me in trouble and it seems it has.

Please help.

sisco311
August 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM

startx
or

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

if that doesn't work try to install the ubuntu-desktop package:

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop
startx

HaulnAce600cc
August 2nd, 2008, 05:14 PM
Thank you for your quick response Sisco311.

Startx did work and the desktop is back.

However, an error window was generated
"The panel encountered a problem while loading"
"OAFIID:GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet".
Do you want to delete thie applet from your configuration?

Not sure what to do here. It reminds me that I did recently add a user to the system, but I don't see why that would have caused this problem.

Any thoughts?

aysiu
August 2nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and make sure you have the ubuntu-desktop package installed.