PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite File Sharing Programs

eyebrowman92
November 9th, 2005, 03:37 AM
I'm trying to find a good file-sharing program. what are some of your favorites?

etc
November 9th, 2005, 03:40 AM
bittorrent

xequence
November 9th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Bittorent beats every other P2P program by leaps and bounds. Azureus is the best bittorent client, though its java which takes up alot of resources.

And watch out, the ubuntu froum mods dont really like people talking about piracy. Its my biggest dislike about the site.

eyebrowman92
November 9th, 2005, 03:46 AM
alright what form of bittorrent do you use?

xequence
November 9th, 2005, 03:51 AM
What do you mean by what form of bittorent?

Do you mean which tracker sites? I couldent post them, the whole piracy thing, but I can mail you a list of my favorites.

Or do you mean what client? Ive always used azureus.

eyebrowman92
November 9th, 2005, 03:53 AM
i meant what client. ive always used limewire. i found it downloaded files fastest.

eyebrowman92
November 9th, 2005, 03:54 AM
this is a test post pay no attention to it

etc
November 9th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Azureus is good, but if you don't have the resources it can slow things down.
edit: will you please use the edit button, it's there for a reason

xequence
November 9th, 2005, 03:56 AM
There isnt much of a difference downloading files between client. Mostly they are just different with features.

Though bittorent doesent have very many just single songs. You could get the album and only choose to download a couple songs though. For single songs I use limewire, but that is rare. You can get much more music faster, more efficient, and it will be more orginized if you download by album using bittorent.

eyebrowman92
November 9th, 2005, 04:03 AM
alright i get it now

benplaut
November 9th, 2005, 04:19 AM
remember folks, we're talking about legaltorrents ;)

i really like bittorrent, but i still haven't found a client i like. the default gnome one is awesome, but it would be nice to have a one-window interface, and the ability to pause, turn off the comptuer, then complete it later.

<<edit>>

to be honest, i want Gwget, for torrents :D

etc
November 9th, 2005, 04:27 AM
and the ability to pause, turn off the comptuer, then complete it later.

You can do that with the gnome client.

Zensunni
November 9th, 2005, 04:49 AM
I wrote a little article that shows how bittorrent works and all. My site has a very slow connection, though.

f76
November 9th, 2005, 02:06 PM
klibido/nzbperl for legal binaries on usenet.

AnGeLiX
November 9th, 2005, 02:18 PM
My vote goes to Limewire. Based on Java, running everyware and no fake files :)

bionnaki
November 9th, 2005, 08:55 PM
nicotine for music
bittorrent 4.1.7 for torrents.

xequence
November 9th, 2005, 09:07 PM
remember folks, we're talking about legaltorrents ;)

i really like bittorrent, but i still haven't found a client i like. the default gnome one is awesome, but it would be nice to have a one-window interface, and the ability to pause, turn off the comptuer, then complete it later.

<<edit>>

to be honest, i want Gwget, for torrents :D

Bittorent is the only P2P program that has a big legal user base, but still... Illegal torrents are more plentiful.

BWF89
November 9th, 2005, 10:43 PM
LimeWire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LimeWire

BitTornado
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTornado

bored2k
November 9th, 2005, 10:53 PM
xequence, it's not that we disallow P2P talk, it's just that we can't have you all talking and posting links on certain things like these ones. You think I don't like sharing my links? I do, I just can't, for that we have PrivateMessages (et al).

As for me, I use BitTorrent/BitTornado 95 percent of my time, limewire 3 percent and nicotine the 2 percent I share with my friends.

xequence
November 9th, 2005, 11:05 PM
xequence, it's not that we disallow P2P talk, it's just that we can't have you all talking and posting links on certain things like these ones. You think I don't like sharing my links? I do, I just can't, for that we have PrivateMessages (et al).

As for me, I use BitTorrent/BitTornado 95 percent of my time, limewire 3 percent and nicotine the 2 percent I share with my friends.

So its just links we cant post? I was under the impression it was any P2P talk that was piracy. Though Im not mad about it, its not my site and I dont have any right to change the rules.

I was really quite amazed when I saw you post a comment on a torrent, on a bittorent site I go on alot.

Odd, for a second there I thought my "i" button on the keyboard had broken. It didnt work for a bit, but its not.

bored2k
November 9th, 2005, 11:13 PM
So its just links we cant post? I was under the impression it was any P2P talk that was piracy. No piracy/warez talk. I said no links because that's the worst and most destructive manifestation of P2P talk we can get (destructive as in the forums getting slapped for being a linux forums and allowing such non related thing). So no, no links, no "hey I got piratedGameX from siteY!" nor "hey how can I run the Mac OS X x86 disc I just got from someone?!" (<--- we had that one here, we deleted that one).

I was really quite amazed when I saw you post a comment on a torrent, on a bittorent site I go on alot.Well don't be. Like me, you can go anywhere it's allowed and talk about it, but not here. Although I agree with the rule, I did not stablish it, I just follow it and make sure everyone does here. And if you must know, you could find my profile on a lot of websites... Bx, Mn, Tb, Dm and others (a torrent fan like you should know those ;)).

In the past months I've been mostly on anime related sites but most of them are Ok and I dont even like to be specific on them.

Although technically illegal -- Japanese copyrights are honored in the US and other Berne Convention countries and vice versa -- some anime licensors look the other way on fansubs as "free advertising" since people who see a fansub are likely to buy the release on DVD if they enjoy it. Fansubbers also follow a code of honor of sorts, and halt all work on a title once it has been licensed in the US.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php?id=63

eyebrowman92
November 11th, 2005, 05:02 AM
alright thanks everyone. but bored2k what do you mean we're not allowed to pot links?

etc
November 11th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Links to illegal torrents, like copyrighted audio/video/software, because that would be aiding piracy.

super
November 11th, 2005, 05:28 AM
i love bittorent
but i have to use limewire for alot of stuff

for some reason i can never get transfer speeds above about 30KB/s with torrent, regardless of which client i use. a friend told me it was because i use a wireless connection but... *shrug* ...i dunno. :confused:

etc
November 11th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Did you forward your ports?

Jason-X
November 11th, 2005, 09:58 AM
GTK-Gnutella is really good if you can't get Limewire working. Works really well for me.

For some reason I can't get Limewire working on Breezy PPC. :confused:

super
November 11th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Did you forward your ports?

? i have no idea what that means.

how do i do that?

EDIT: nevermind i found it on google. i`ll have to wait till i get home to try it out tho.

bored2k
November 11th, 2005, 07:17 PM
? i have no idea what that means.

how do i do that?

EDIT: nevermind i found it on google. i`ll have to wait till i get home to try it out tho.To make you happy, portforward.com, but
Let's keep this thread on-topic. If you have problems with your P2P app, create your own thread.

benplaut
November 11th, 2005, 07:39 PM
/me is now liking the official BT client, but when i created a document with
alltray bittorent-new
(that's my symlink to it) in it, then chmod +x, i can't do
bittorent /path/to/file.torrent
limiting some of it's appeal...
still, it's a cool client :D

super
November 12th, 2005, 05:13 AM
To make you happy, portforward.com, but
Let's keep this thread on-topic. If you have problems with your P2P app, create your own thread.

apologies, and thank-you's

eyebrowman92
November 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM
ive found that the bittorent that comes with the gnome desktop works well, but limewire so far downloads the fastest for me.

DoeRayMe
November 12th, 2005, 06:15 PM
apollon on kde

eyebrowman92
November 16th, 2005, 10:56 PM
im sorry but i cant stand kde. i installs so many useless programs. i just cant be bothered.

DoeRayMe
November 16th, 2005, 11:00 PM
im sorry but i cant stand kde. i installs so many useless programs. i just cant be bothered.

Well uninstall them, i installed Kubuntu and now im down to 661 packages, in Total from 1200:D

patrick295767
November 28th, 2005, 12:34 PM
What could be better than Limewire or other prog for the Gnutella network ?

kind regards,

Pat'

Sheinar
November 28th, 2005, 01:43 PM
That's why there's kde-core, so you don't have to install all of those useless programs.

linuxrevo
February 7th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I prefer to use FrostWire instead of LimeWire cuz FW is open source and LW isn't... http://getdebpersian.blogspot.com/2008/01/frostwire.html it's like LW...

samir85
February 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM
What could be better than Limewire or other prog for the Gnutella network ?

kind regards,

Pat'
You should check Phex (java based) and gtk-gnutella (available in the Ubuntu repos).

davidw89
September 25th, 2008, 07:46 AM
frostwire is better than limewire (on both linux and windows)

Trail
September 26th, 2008, 08:13 AM
linuxdcpp

billgoldberg
September 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I'm trying to find a good file-sharing program. what are some of your favorites?

Frostwire -> Gnutella network

Nicotine plus -> Soulseek network

Transmission -> Bittorrent client

--

I was under the impression it was any P2P talk that was piracy.

P2p is a perfectly legal thing.

It's a way for people to share data with each other.

It's that data that is being shared that could violate copyrights (that doesn't make it necessarily illegal).

cdekter
September 27th, 2008, 12:30 AM
The latest version of Deluge is quite nice to use...

doorknob60
September 27th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Deluge is nice yeah, and if you're a KDE person, Ktorrent is a little better, but not worth it if you use Gnome IMO.

C.S.Cameron
September 27th, 2008, 01:24 AM
PirateBay

L815
September 27th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Torrents for anything other than single songs. For the rare random songs I use eMule.

binbash
September 27th, 2008, 12:08 PM
jdownloader does the trick for me

alang184
October 4th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Just started using JDownloader now.

I've noticed that while downloading from Rapidshare using JDownloader, the download seems to occur in short bursts, with around 10 seconds of inactivity between bursts. Is this just Rapidshare's way of forcing the 50kB/s download-limit? Or is there something wrong with my setup?!

ikkedus
January 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM
My favourite is Phex, it looks better then Limewire/Frostwire, but that's my opinion.
With Phex i get alot LESS fake-files then i get on Limewire/Frostwire.

How i do that... my PC is running 24/7, my Phex is running 27/7 too... in the Phex settings i force myself to become an Ultrapeer, i connect to 32 Ultrapeers, and 64 Leafs (if you have a fast internet-connection, you can connect to 99 Ultrapeers/99 Leafs max).

When i search now, i get more REAL results, and less FAKE results!

All fake-results i get, are ALL Limewire/Frostwire sources!

:(

northwestuntu
January 25th, 2009, 04:03 PM
newsbin pro ;)

Hallvor
January 25th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Ktorrent for almost everything, and aMule for whatever I can`t find on Bittorrent.

kk0sse54
January 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Nicotine+
rTorrent