PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linux Partitions

DamienFox
August 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know how i can remove all partitions of linux? I need to re-install vista due to other members of the family be to used to windows. Thanks.

sstvinc2
August 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM
I'd say boot the live cd and run gparted off of it. Alternatively, there's a gparted live cd out there on the interwebs, although I haven't tried it and can't attest to its quality.

I'd think the Vista installer would have partition management too, but then MS has surprised me before.

DamienFox
August 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
I was told to remove all partitions so that windows its own in.

Sef
August 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Just tell Vista to use the whole disk. That will cause Vista to write over everything.

I'd say boot the live cd and run gparted off of it. Alternatively, there's a gparted live cd out there on the interwebs, although I haven't tried it and can't attest to its quality.

GParted is an excellent partitioner.

DamienFox
August 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Sorry, i hate to be a bother. But could somebody just explain briefly how gparted works and how i can use to help?

SunnyRabbiera
August 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
well Vista does have its own partitioner, you can use that if you are unsure.
But do yourself a big favor, buy a computer for yourself so you dont have to suffer, its what I did :D

sstvinc2
August 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Sure. Just run
sudo gparted and then you can right-click on partitions and delete them. Once you've deleted all of them, you can reformat them into NTFS for Vista.

But I'd also recomment using the Vista partitioner if you're more comfortable with it.

DamienFox
August 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
My friend installed ubuntu for me. But i have the Windows Vista home Premium disc. I just want to install that :(

sstvinc2
August 2nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Then just instert your Vista disk, boot your PC from that disk, and let Vista take care of the rest. Windows' partition editors tend to be very straightforward.

DamienFox
August 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
It's asking for the password and i don't know it :confused:

DamienFox
August 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Then just instert your Vista disk, boot your PC from that disk, and let Vista take care of the rest. Windows' partition editors tend to be very straightforward.

When i do that, it says 'To use the pass key you have entered, please install from your current version of windows'.

sstvinc2
August 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
gparted is you mean? Are you running off the live CD? If so, I think gparted is also in the System menu at the top of the screen. You might not need to say "sudo" on the command line, which would keep from asking for a password.

sstvinc2
August 2nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
When i do that, it says 'To use the pass key you have entered, please install from your current version of windows'.

Wow, I have no idea what that's about. Vista is the first Windows installer that I haven't used since Win95... Anyone else know what this Vista business is about? If it were me, I'd stick with gparted, but I understand that you're not all that familiar with Ubuntu, so I can see why you wouldn't want to.

DamienFox
August 2nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Is there anyway somebody could remote screen my computer? Im really bad at this kind of stuff

cbr_king
August 2nd, 2008, 03:31 PM

It looks like that you use an upgrade key or an windows Vista upgrade version media that needs a previous windows version to install Vista. If you have not a previous Windows, take a look at this page:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp