PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE4.1 vs. KDE3 (ie brightness)

Imre Mehesz
August 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Hello Everybody,

I used to use KDE for years and years (with RedHat6 and 7!) and at one point when Ubuntu came along I chose Gnome. However, I saw my buddy's KDE4.1 installation the other day and I got so jealous that I decided to go back to KDE.

First I installed the latest Kubuntu version on my Lenovo Y510 Laptop (a very Linux friendly brand) and everything was working fine, so I downloaded and installed the new KDE 4.1 packages. This is the most beautiful window system I've ever seen, no doubt :) but unfortunately, I couldn't change the brightness of my screen (and it is very dim).

I installed some extra packages to see if it would help, but it didn't. Has anybody else seen something like this?

Thanks in advance,
iM

richard.e.morton
August 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
First I installed the latest Kubuntu version on my Lenovo Y510 Laptop (a very Linux friendly brand) and everything was working fine, so I downloaded and installed the new KDE 4.1 packages. This is the most beautiful window system I've ever seen, no doubt :) but unfortunately, I couldn't change the brightness of my screen (and it is very dim).

iM

Would like to install 4.1 on top of my kubuntu8.04 installation but cant see the package in synaptic... what did you select? or what process did you go thtrough to have both 3.5 and 4.1 installed and being able to swap between them?

Thanks

Rihc

richard.e.morton
August 2nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Would like to install 4.1 on top of my kubuntu8.04 installation but cant see the package in synaptic... what did you select? or what process did you go thtrough to have both 3.5 and 4.1 installed and being able to swap between them?

Thanks

Rihc

ignore me, instructions are right here...
http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1

Imre Mehesz
August 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
ignore me, instructions are right here...
http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1

Yes, that's exactly what I went through. Do you have the same effect (no brightness w/ 4.1, like I have?

Thanks
iM

Imre Mehesz
August 3rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
here is the answer if you have the same problem I did. Just run the following command:

guidance-power-manager

it fixes at least the brightness problem.

iM

cptr13
August 18th, 2008, 04:10 PM
This is a super helpful post. I was getting pretty frustrated trying to figure this one out myself. Thanks!!!