PDA

View Full Version : So I've seen guitar players here... any metalheads?

darksoul7
August 2nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
If so, what are you listening to?

I'll start -

Detonation (NL) - Emission Phase
Spawn of Possession (SE) - Noctambulant
Necrophagist (DE) - Epitaph
Martyr (CA) - Warp Zone
Nefastus Dies (CA) - Urban Cancer

Shameless Promotion spot (a.k.a. my bands) -
Ritual Demise - www.myspace.com/demyse666
Artep - www.myspace.com/artepmetal

grossaffe
August 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Not that this thread hasn't been done before, but in the genre of metal, I like:
Axenstar
Avantasia
Dragonforce
Edguy
Freedom Call
Galneryus
Kamelot
Power Quest
Rhapsody of Fire
Yngwie Malmsteen

Most of those are power metal, but Rhapsody of Fire can be classified as Symphonic. Yngwie Malmsteen would be Speed. Kamelot is Epic, Avantasia is... well its Avantasia. They sound different album to album as they are a concept band.

Of those, I highly reccomend Edguy to fulfill your metal needs. Kamelot is great if you like a nice strong and powerful band. Rhapsody if you're looking for something more Grandiose. Dragonforce is a great band if you like their style of music; they seem to be a very polarizing band. Avantasia is a great band if your looking for something different. The band is made up of members of a bunch of other metal bands; they also get special appearances from big names such as Alice Cooper.

tel93
August 2nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
I play guitar but I'm no metalhead

venator260
August 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Yes.

For a long while I was getting into some death metal bands that I heard thrown around as "classics" (Autopsy, Carcass, Death, Entombed). Now I just hit shuffle in Rhythmbox and listen to a bit of everything.

gtrtx
August 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
I guess I'm a metalhead. I do listen to a huge variety of music. I do play guitar. But I have to say...when it comes down to it, I can't deny being a metalhead.

Right now I'm listening to:

Nevermore
Strapping Young Lad
Soilwork
Opeth

In heavy rotation on my player is Blotted Science - Machinations of Dementia, Incredible stuff. It's Instrumental progressive Death Metal. Well, I guess it's not really death metal without the vocals, but it is heavy and the playing is top notch.

check em out here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=197477673

Joeb454
August 2nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I have a normal head, not a metal head ;)

Though I like metal (the music genre) ;)

RiceMonster
August 2nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
I used to be mad into Necrophagist. Matry is alright. After a listening to Necrophagist for a bit, it's like "Ok, I get it, you can shred. I don't care."

Here's my favorite Death Metal stuff:
Frightmare
Ghoul
Carcass
Morbid Angel
Blood Freak
Dismember

Death Metal really isn't my favorite though. I like a lot of stuff like:
Agalloch
Darkspace
Drudkh
Darkthrone
Burzum
Vio-Lence
Sodom

and so and so forth. I haven't been listening to a lot of metal these days though. Right now I'm listening to Boris who are sort of metal... sometimes.

Rhapsody of Fire

Lol, I cannot take them seriously. They're so ridiculously cheesy.

spupy
August 2nd, 2008, 11:19 PM
"Metalhead" is one of the last words someone would use to describe me. But I do listen mostly to metal.
Used to listen to some symphonic metal (which my friends call "gentle metal" >_>). Now it's more gothic and some bands from other genres:
Tristania
Moonspell
Theatre of Tragedy
The Sins of Thy Beloved
Graveworm <- fav. of the week
Blind Guardian
In Flames
Katatonia
etc.

I'm thinking about moving away from metal for a while. :|

JeffoOfMetal
August 3rd, 2008, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I'm a guitar player and a metal head. I'm into

Cannibal Corpse
Nile
DevilDriver
Mudvayne
Seether
Blotted Science

and other Death Metal and Heavy Metal.

bsharp
August 3rd, 2008, 02:11 AM
Drummer, I listen to a wide variety of death/black metal:

Amon Amarth
Arch Enemy
Behemoth
Dark Asylum (unsigned)
Dark Tranquillity (all-time fav)
Daylight Dies
Dimmu Borgir
Firewind
In Flames (older stuff, not a big fan of post-Clayman)
Into Eternity
Scar Symmetry
Sentenced
Wintersun

noobuntu35
August 3rd, 2008, 02:25 AM
If so, what are you listening to?

I'll start -

Detonation (NL) - Emission Phase
Spawn of Possession (SE) - Noctambulant
Necrophagist (DE) - Epitaph
Martyr (CA) - Warp Zone
Nefastus Dies (CA) - Urban Cancer

Shameless Promotion spot (a.k.a. my bands) -
Ritual Demise - www.myspace.com/demyse666
Artep - www.myspace.com/artepmetal
yup metal head here, Ibanez RG370DX Is my favorite of my guitars the other is a Peavey Patriot Plus. neat axe has 23 frets. (google it)Lamb of god, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Slayer, Pantera, Old Exodus,(Toxic waltz) Testament with James or Alex OLD SCHOOL metal in general. I could write a 3 page dissertation on metal bands and whom I like...

I almost want to change my signature now... "Innocent people suffer the loss your broken hope show faith to the cross. sometimes you just don"t know how low, how low you can go.show some sympathy SHOW SOME MERCY"

nah good lyrics but not my philosophy
To the Guitarist of the Ubuntu world Check out Ubuntu Studio 8.04.1 (Hardy) well worth the install

darksoul7
August 3rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Wow. A lot more metalheads here than I expected!

Nice to see Agalloch mentioned. If you like them, make sure you check out Moonsorrow, they're incredible.

I'm not the only Penguin-powered metalhead! YAY!

Just listened to Blotted Science. Very good stuff! It's like extreme metal mixed with Fusion Jazz. Very very very good stuff.

LaRoza
August 3rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=829606