PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu In School Newspaper?

kevin11951
August 2nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
What would be the legal ramification to putting this (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/download.php?content=86429&id=1&tan=55529295) in my high school newspaper...

basically will canonical care?

more importantly, will it do any good at a high school, or would it be better to get a full page of a local newspaper?

(wonder how much that would cost?):confused:

TheSlipstream
August 2nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Of course you can. Open source ftw! If you should is more difficult. I sometimes feel we Linux users are far too forceful, and by advertising it makes us seem worse. Seriously, how many people who aren't already aware of Linux would actually change their operating system just because an ad tells them to?

kevin11951
August 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Of course you can. Open source ftw! If you should is more difficult. I sometimes feel we Linux users are far too forceful, and by advertising it makes us seem worse. Seriously, how many people who aren't already aware of Linux would actually change their operating system just because an ad tells them to?

you SERIOUSLY overestimate the intelligence of the general public. ;)

TBOL3
August 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM
Yes, you can. But as said earlier, you shouldn't. Yes, you probably get 1-10 people to switch (in a school of about 2000). But are you prepared to be their personal tech support? I've gotten several people to switch. But I am now the person they go to if they have problems (and fortunately their smart and don't need help to often), and if worse comes to worse, I recommend they leave their original OS on, just in case.

wrtpeeps
August 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
I don't bother telling people about linux because I can't be arsed when they all come asking for help.

kevin11951
August 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
Yes, you can. But as said earlier, you shouldn't. Yes, you probably get 1-10 people to switch (in a school of about 2000). But are you prepared to be their personal tech support? I've gotten several people to switch. But I am now the person they go to if they have problems (and fortunately their smart and don't need help to often), and if worse comes to worse, I recommend they leave their original OS on, just in case.

what about a local newspaper, or would that be 10 times worse?

nick09
August 2nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
You could bring in a laptop with Ubuntu on it and let fellow students try Ubuntu out otherwise I don't really know...

cardinals_fan
August 2nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
I certainly don't trust any tech advice I read in MY school newspaper...

jualin
August 2nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
I certainly don't trust any tech advice I read in MY school newspaper...

Me neither, I hate the "We recommend at least 2 or 3 GB of RAM to properly surf the web".
However I did a presentation in my school of what Ubuntu and Open Source was and I got 7 people out of 200 in my school to switch. I was impressed :guitar:

kevin11951
August 2nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Me neither, I hate the "We recommend at least 2 or 3 GB of RAM to properly surf the web".
However I did a presentation in my school of what Ubuntu and Open Source was and I got 7 people out of 200 in my school to switch. I was impressed :guitar:

3.5%? isnt that the same as the suspected average market share of the world?

cardinals_fan
August 2nd, 2008, 06:58 PM

3.5%? isnt that the same as the suspected average market share of the world?
I'm not going to try to convince 56 people in my school to switch ;)

Actually, I don't try to convince anyone. Live and let live.

jualin
August 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I'm not going to try to convince 56 people in my school to switch ;)

Actually, I don't try to convince anyone. Live and let live.

Wise words my friend

jualin
August 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
I didn't try to convince anyone either, I presented what open source was, told them the limitations (Gaming, certain Windows only applications), told them the advantages and let them decide for themselves. I even started my presentation with "I just want to show you guys what's out there". Most people were impressed (Compiz and Viruses Statistics helped a bit :lol:) but were afraid to make the switch, some others loved it and wanted to try it right away. Even my professor told me to install it on her computer.

cardinals_fan
August 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
I didn't try to convince anyone either, I presented what open source was, told them the limitations (Gaming, certain Windows only applications), told them the advantages and let them decide for themselves. I even started my presentation with "I just want to show you guys what's out there". Most people were impressed (Compiz and Viruses Statistics helped a bit :lol:) but were afraid to make the switch, some others loved it and wanted to try it right away. Even my professor told me to install it on her computer.
Your high school is small... only 200 students?

kevin11951
August 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM

well, obviously im not going to force them or anything, its just to let them know whats out there. thats why its called an ad.

jualin
August 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Your high school is small... only 200 students?

Yeah I know, :lolflag: It was an special Dual Enrollment High School that works together with Miami Dade College. It only has about 200 students because the only grades available are 11th and 12th grade. They even have a wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_for_Advanced_Studies) about the school. BTW the name of the school doesn't correlate with the people who go there. :lol:

cardinals_fan
August 2nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Yeah I know, :lolflag: It was an special Dual Enrollment High School that works together with Miami Dade College. It only has about 200 students because the only grades available are 11th and 12th grade. They even have a wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_for_Advanced_Studies) about the school. BTW the name of the school doesn't correlate with the people who go there. :lol:
That's still small. My high school has 1600 students, and it's actually a rather small school itself.

jualin
August 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I agree, any school here in Miami is usually 5000 students at least. My senior class was only 96 students so the top 10% was not even 10 people :lol:

TBOL3
August 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Gak, don't do it in a public newspaper. Unless you are ready to start a small part time job as tech support. Not that you'll have many people switching, but because the paper would have an obligation to at least provide some support for what it's publishing.

Unless your actually buying an ad. In which case, still don't do it. Spend your money on something else. And if your bent on donating to linux, then give a little something to the devs.

MaxIBoy
August 2nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Suspected market share is less than a percent.

I have compiz fusion cranked up on my laptop, and did convince a few kids to switch over. Most of them were impressed but uninterested in switching anyway.

TBOL3
August 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
You know what's interesting. I must be getting real good at selling linux :) . I went to my uni's tech support, to get information on wifi, and the guy there saw what I was running, and asked for a copy. But yes, I would recommend not putting it in the paper.