PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't microsoft just give it up?

Zensunni
November 9th, 2005, 02:12 AM
There are so many old people (and younger) out there that have way outdated systems which they need a system restore for and have lost their 95/98 disks. All they want is to do superficial things such as check email and browse the internet, but they are SOL because they can't buy another version of 95/98. They can't even upgrade because their PC won't run windows XP.

I've realized it's all just a money squeze to push people into buying new systems and getting XP. But it seems pretty lame. Most of these people just want to do the same thing they've been doing for years.

Would it kill microsoft to release a new version of 98 for like, 50 bucks so that these people can be at peace?

Bah, coorporate companies have no mercy at all!

/rant

KLineD
November 9th, 2005, 02:20 AM
It would be better to have some soft of a center where all these people can take their computer and get a linux distro installed with the software they need. They could also get some sort of introduction to Linux like where to find the browser, how to open documents, etc.

That service could be charged with, like you said, 50 dollars. Those 50 dollars are better spent that way in my opinion.

Zensunni
November 9th, 2005, 02:32 AM
You know, instead of dealing with all this, I should just start up a business like that...

phanboy_iv
November 9th, 2005, 02:40 AM
You know, instead of dealing with all this, I should just start up a business like that...

Sounds cool. Most people just want there computer to do certain things. This could be a way to introduce
Linux/Ubuntu to the average guy. And, you'd be doing them a favor by switching them to Linux

aysiu
November 9th, 2005, 02:51 AM
I don't know how much of a difference this would make, but if you do start up a business like that, I'd stress to people that the OS itself is free but that you're charging for the service of installing and configuring stuff.

KLineD
November 9th, 2005, 02:56 AM

Yeah you still need those who actually know how to install and run a linux system, figure out a way to pay for those services... but still it's a nice (and possibly good) idea

xequence
November 9th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Simple: The thing that is keeping windows on peoples desktops is the fact it comes with computers. Most people just buy a computer and accept it can get viruses, accept it is what it is, and they dont know there is anything else out there. If microsoft made a new version for older computers some people wouldent buy that brand spanking shiny new computer with a dual core 64 bit AMD processor, 2 GB RAM, and everything to run windows. Or even that 500$ celeron with 256 MB RAM. Then the computer companies loose money and stop selling computers with windows. I dont know what they will switch to next though.

That is for most people. Most people just want to browse the internet, download music, and talk on an instant messenger. Start > Programs > Internet Explorer/MSN Messenger/Limewire. All they need. Now, some people, like most on this site and other tech sites, accually care what OS is on their computer. They care how their computer works, how they can make it more efficient, more to their liking. And these people tend to be the ones who use bittorent more then a normal P2P network.

etc
November 9th, 2005, 04:13 AM
The only problem with switching their old Windows config to Linux is that some people can't handle everything being completely different.
I know people who won't switch just because gaim isn't the same thing as the official aim client(ads and all :rolleyes:).

Imagine the fit they'll have when they can't open some .doc they have because Openoffice doesn't handle it (rare but who knows). How about when their games don't work, which they expect, and there is nothing they can do? What happens when they want to use their encyclopedia/office/imaging/video/audio/IMclient program and it doesn't work? Of course there are alternitives but that might not fly.
These people have had the same computer for years and everything just "worked" for them.

poptones
November 9th, 2005, 04:35 AM
After actually working phone support for one of the biggest sellers in the US I can tell you with pretty good confidence "most people" who are still running those really old systems aren't just doing it because they are cheap - they're doing it because they are familiar with the system AND because they have a decade now worth of data on the machine. Many have lost chunks of that data, but most have learned to make CDs which means now they have archives that must be supported.

This isn't just a matter of reloading and patting them on the head. These people need a complete solution and halfway isn't going to convince them to give it up - Windows98 is still free for bittorrent users.

MacStew123
November 9th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Would it kill microsoft to release a new version of 98 for like, 50 bucks so that these people can be at peace?

They have actually just released something along those lines in South Africa. MS packaged a watered down version of Win XP (i forget the name of it) but when i say watered down, it's really watered down. It comes pre-installed on (you guessed it), a watered down PC and at the moment I believe distibution focusses on the less fortunate population...

MS are still way behind on these type of issues and in my opinion, they're after good PR more than anything else.

Wasn't Mark Shuttleworth also quite involved with advocating litteracy in SA too? Isn't this something his venture capital biz, HBD, look into?

Stormy Eyes
November 9th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Now, why exactly would Microsoft do that? Think about it a minute: Windows 95 and 98 are Frankensteinian monstrosities that are utterly instable and quite insecure because of their haphazard design and descent from MSDOS. If Microsoft is serious about security, then the last thing it should be doing is encouraging people to stick with old versions of Windows that are widely known to be defective.

It's merciful to allow people to stagnate?

ThirdWorld
November 9th, 2005, 06:12 AM
There are so many old people (and younger) out there that have way outdated systems which they need a system restore for and have lost their 95/98 disks. All they want is to do superficial things such as check email and browse the internet, but they are SOL because they can't buy another version of 95/98. They can't even upgrade because their PC won't run windows XP.

I've realized it's all just a money squeze to push people into buying new systems and getting XP. But it seems pretty lame. Most of these people just want to do the same thing they've been doing for years.

/rant

Come on dude, you already pay for it, copy it from the internet, or make a copy from a friends CD, as i said, you already pay for that crappy OS. But then, why do you want to use that crappy OS which is outdated?, switch to Ubuntu, it works great with outdated hardware, its waaaaaay better than Win 98 and easy to configure, plus there are virtually no risks with viruses and spyware. :D

In the name of all lords of heaven why do you want to pay 50 dollars for that crap? :P

Stormy Eyes
November 9th, 2005, 06:21 AM
In the name of all lords of heaven why do you want to pay 50 dollars for that crap? :P

Why in the names of all the lords of hell would you encourage others to pay 50 bucks for that crap?

ThirdWorld
November 9th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Why in the names of all the lords of hell would you encourage others to pay 50 bucks for that crap?

ammm... im not encouraging any one to pay anything to Microsoft... looks like you missed the point of my thread ;)

Stormy Eyes
November 9th, 2005, 06:31 AM
looks like you missed the point of my thread ;)

Not at all. I just quoted the wrong guy.

Zensunni
November 9th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Heh, my post was more of a rant after dealing with these kinds of people.

I also think we are talking on different levels....the 50 dollars would be for puting LINUX on their old computers and configuring it for them.

Hell, I'm running Ubuntu now! I would hate to run 98/95, personally. But, I'll treat this as if the 50 was for windows and be an advocate for the devil.

When you say:It's merciful to allow people to stagnate?

I think that with some people, there is a point in trying to change their minds when it becomes counterproductive. If their minds are set one way, sometimes it's worse to push them even if your way is right. Their mental blocks are sometimes greater than the benifits of a better solution.

Besides, I think no less of somebody who is ignorant, but realizes he's being ignorant; as when somebody says: "ignorance is bliss".

As long as that person understands his limitations and the consequences of being ignorant, then there's no harm done unless he is influencing what he has rejected.

Sorry to get all phylosophical on ya.....

Stormy Eyes
November 9th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Besides, I think no less of somebody who is ignorant, but realizes he's being ignorant; as when somebody says: "ignorance is bliss".

That's one point where we differ. I can deal with the ignorant if they are willing to learn and remedy their ignorance. I have no patience to spare towards those who choose to remain ignorant.

ScoobyDan
November 9th, 2005, 03:12 PM
They have actually just released something along those lines in South Africa. MS packaged a watered down version of Win XP (i forget the name of it) but when i say watered down, it's really watered down. It comes pre-installed on (you guessed it), a watered down PC and at the moment I believe distibution focusses on the less fortunate population...

IIRC, it is called something like "Windows XP Starter" or "Windows XP Basic", and yes, it is limited - limited to only having 3 applications open at once (and only one occurence of each application), and limited to seeing only 256MB RAM, no matter how much is installed.

If anything, I would hope an operating system like this would turn more people to Linux - why pay for a crippled operating system, when you could install Linux for free?

Daniel

nsa_767
November 9th, 2005, 03:15 PM
/would it kill MS.... Eh, yes.

If it wasn't for the illusion that you need the latest and greatest new M$ OS, then how would they earn new revenue?

If everyone just decided to keep on using their old OSes, who would buy new ones? M$'s revenue stream would dry up.

jdodson
November 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM
i am all open free software. i think microsoft products are shite(to quote a lugradio-ism). anyway, that said there is/was a community driven project that took all the patches for win98 and put them into a "service pack." basically it allows you usb drive plugability, tons of security fixes, increase in ram maximum, etc. if you still use 98, which i have on a dusty computers spare partition for ancient reasons. its a nice addition to the win98-iverse.

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

however, for a more reliable, easier to use and more functional experience, look no further than ubuntu.

Sirin
November 9th, 2005, 09:18 PM

Or better, why can't Microsoft just give it up to Linux instead? ;)