PDA

View Full Version : Stuff that brings you back to your early Ubuntu/Linux days.

JeffoOfMetal
August 2nd, 2008, 05:55 AM
I remember when I was beginning to mess around with Ubuntu that I was really into this band Motograter. This was around the time 7.10 was being developed and whenever I hear one Motograter song, particularly Red, I still get that fresh and new feeling of experimenting with Linux and exploring unknown Linux territory.

What takes you back to your early Linux days? Anything? It doesn't have to be music, but perhaps there's something that you associate with Ubuntu just because it was around while you were using it.

:popcorn: I'm interested in hearing what you have to say.

tiachopvutru
August 2nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
I don't have anything memorable in particular that makes me remember the early Ubuntu days... Well, maybe whenever I have to install ndiswrapper drivers for my wireless device. I think that's it, and it's not a very fun memory.

If anything, this thread brings me back to my early Ubuntu days more. Now I'm really missing my old desktop, custom log-on sound (it doesn't work anymore in Hardy), and Compiz's snow-plugin (the download link to the snow-plugin is no longer there ;_;).

Here's my old desktop, btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngPO65pH9xU

fatality_uk
August 2nd, 2008, 08:01 AM
When I need a book from my book shelf. My course work for Linux System Administration course is up there. I occaisionally use it still to this day, 8 years later ;)

jim_mule
August 2nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
grolsch beer. i volunteered at a hack lab and i learned debian over grolsch on friday nights. as well just the street it was on reminds me of knoppix 3.3, debian, firefly, the slowness of kde 3.1, the horror of XF86Config and XF86Config-4 and trying to play Visualboyadvance on my radeon card as well as it played under windows. as well i think an uskinned xmms and a minimalist gnome install will also give me a slight flashback.

mikjp
August 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
What takes you back to your early Linux days? Anything? It doesn't have to be music, but perhaps there's something that you associate with Ubuntu just because it was around while you were using it.

There was no Ubuntu in my early Linux days. But I am always reminded of my early experiences with Linux when I have to configure xorg.conf by hand. Even if there was no xorg in my early Linux days :-)

First installation: SuSE something, in Sept 2001. With KDE 1.x.

Linux on desktop since then!

Sporkman
August 2nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
"Rehab", by Amy Winehouse.