PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] want to install ubuntu studio on old laptop, need help

thatguy113
August 2nd, 2008, 05:11 AM
My brother had an old laptop he was going to trash since the screen was broke and he got a new one. I asked him and he gave it to me. I removed the screen and can hook it up to an old lcd tv. Long story short, it runs windows xp, the cd drive is... well, there isn't one... and whenever I plug a flash drive into a usb port, it dings and shows that it recognizes it to some extent. However, when I try to get the drive doesn't show up from my computer. There are some songs and videos that I would like to backup or save somehow, and I was thinking about installing ubuntu studio on the laptop, but I don't know anything about Linux (windows user my whole life), and I'm not sure how to install it from a flash drive... Any suggestions or advice on how to backup the files, and install ubuntu studio would be GREATLY appreciated!

xnostradamusx
August 2nd, 2008, 08:04 AM
why not shrink the drive of the windows xp and put all that you want to back up there so you can just format the one that you shrineked so then you can install ubuntu from there,

falkTX
August 2nd, 2008, 09:15 AM
You can actually install Ubuntu in PC!

Just remove the HD and put it on other computer that has DVD support (UbuntuStudio iso is 1.2Gb large).
Then after installing it, remove the HD and place in your old PC.
It may took a little longer to boot at first time, but then it should be fine.

If you got an error about the X driver, just press "Esc" when grub is loading select "recovery mode" and then click to fix the X driver.

Please tell us the result