PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting X to work when its installed on one computer and run on another

bohsocks
August 2nd, 2008, 04:13 AM
Hey. I'm trying to run a SHOUTcast server on a spare computer in my house... so I'm installing Feisty.

I have two spare computers... pretty comparable in specs so it doesn't matter.......

The first computer Ubuntu installs fine, but the PCI is broken.... so Internet doesn't work (I've also attempted to install Win 2000 on this machine)

The second computer the PCI works fine, so Internet would work... BUT for some reason it runs the install unusually slow and eventually just locks up.... (Win 2000 gets file copying errors)

So my solution would be to install Ubuntu on the first PC, swap HDDs and run it on the 2nd... but that breaks X and leaves me with a terminal.....

Is there anything I can run from here to get X working on the second PC?

I've tried:
-dpkg-reconfigure blah blah (If I spelled it wrong, sorry)
-uninstalling and reinstalling ubuntu-desktop (though this gave me an error.... would this be the solution if I was able to do it successfully)
-upgrade to Gutsy (it didn't work, and I did this before un/reinstalling ubuntu-desktop.... the repositories made it break)

Would re-installing ubuntu-desktop successfully solve this issue?

If not, what would?

I'm very desperate.

bohsocks
August 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
as expected, bump

Jose Catre-Vandis
August 2nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Sounds hard drivey to me. have you tried swapping HDDs and doing the install?