PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disk failure Wiping Win98 loading Ubuntu

mjlackner
August 2nd, 2008, 03:33 AM
I was finally satisfied enough to complete my install and repartition over my Win98 (FE...please laugh at me here). I encountered a disk failure @ 66% complete, and was not able to recover. Now I cannot boot the machine at all, getting an "Operating System not found".

Apparently this machine won't boot from one of my two CD drives (1 RW, the other R Only).

I'm stuck.

Pumalite
August 2nd, 2008, 03:39 AM
Get rescuecd and take a look:
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

mjlackner
August 3rd, 2008, 02:59 AM
Sysrescuecd was really very productive, though not solved. I get intermittant results booting from CDROM. 90% of the time I still get "Op Sys not found". I was able to get SysRescue to boot twice, and Ubuntu to boot once.

Regardless, the Ubuntu install did still not complete normally...many HD errors. SysRescue was able to boot, I could mount my second CDROM, and get to UbuntuCD, though was still not able to load new, non-Win98 boot to HD. Under SysRescue, I was able to run 'badblocks' on HD and found none.

Very perplexing. No rhyme or reason why inconsistent BIOS issues with CDROM booting.

The system has 1 hard drive(master), 1 floppy (physically slave to HD, but disabled in BIOS. I have 2 CDROMs; 1 RW Ricoh, another R-Only. I have them setup in BIOS as Secondary Master (R-Only), and Secondary Slave (RW). Through all this gyration, I have Set boot on Secondary, set HD & Floppy to [NONE] in BIOS, and achieve the 10% Boot on R-Only.

As an aside, I did come across the Legacy USB, so my USB keyboard now works for both machines...KVM investment realized.

Thanks Pumalite for the recommend on SysRescue. I learned a lot today. It is a cool tool.

-Mark