PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help i am not getting the migration assistant

nawty1000
August 2nd, 2008, 01:10 AM
I am trying to make the move to ubuntu from xp. During install i am not getting the option to use the migration tool. I am choosing to use the entire disc for a clean install, could this be the problem?

werries
August 2nd, 2008, 02:57 AM
this is a bug in Hardy.
In order to opt for a migration install, and work around the bug, you need to do a symbolic link from the old harddrive name to the new

nawty1000
August 2nd, 2008, 03:09 AM
What do you mean by symbolic link?

werries
August 4th, 2008, 05:59 AM
im not actually sure, i read it somewhere. Try googling around for migration assisstant in ubuntu hardy. and you could always move the preferences yourself, like copying to a usb stick.

cariboo
August 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM
You shouldn't try to give a solution unless you know what you are suggesting. To find out mor about symbolic links in a terminal tyoe:

man symlink

If you do know a place that will answer the op's question give him a link to follow.

The one thing you were right about was suggesting to copy all the settings to another drive or usb device.

To the op remember there are a lot of hidden files in your home directory, in nautilus hit Ctrl-h to see your hidden files.

Jim