gjoellee
August 2nd, 2008, 12:17 AM
I must write the password so often that it is *pip* characters long :lolflag:

Superkoop
August 2nd, 2008, 12:19 AM
9 ATM, it's generally from 8-11 though.

jperrella
August 2nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it.

tamoneya
August 2nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
i have a variety of passwords between 8 and 12 characters. All alphanumeric with capitalizations.

mordak13
August 2nd, 2008, 12:30 AM
Several 8 to 13 characters with alpha numeric & punctuation.

lisati
August 2nd, 2008, 12:32 AM
:lolflag:

We're all friends here at the forums, so does it really matter what size it is?

scragar
August 2nd, 2008, 12:34 AM
I use pass phrases(all of which have to include a number for the extra brute for security - current pass phrase is 6 words, 25 letters(including numbers, excluding spaces)), and on my own login systems(normaly online) I use a pass algorithm(idea is that I know a function, it generates a random string, I then apply the function to the string and enter that, this ensures that it's different every time incase someone sees it or whatever, function is normaly quite long as well(current one I'm using is 9 steps, but it's far from the longest one I've ever used)). some say I'm ever so slightly obsessive about said security :P

Erdaron
August 2nd, 2008, 12:35 AM
I use my own list of words and specific numbers, with capitalizations. I'd say on average my passwords are 12-16 characters long.

VitaLiNux
August 2nd, 2008, 12:38 AM

LOL, good one!

mordak13
August 2nd, 2008, 12:38 AM

We're all friends here at the forums, so does it really matter what size it is?

LMAO!!! :lolflag: Most women lie, it is important...

lisati
August 2nd, 2008, 12:42 AM
LMAO!!! :lolflag: Most women lie, it is important...
Ah, "When Harry met Sally".......

GreenN00b
August 2nd, 2008, 12:48 AM
I am going to switch to this soon ...
http://passwordmaker.org/

Dr Small
August 2nd, 2008, 01:27 AM
I have numerous ones that I use for different occasions. My shortest one is 6 characters long and has never been cracked. My longest one, 9 characters was bruteforced for 2 weeks with john and had no success.

But for my newer passwords, I will be usings LaRoza's method.

Joeb454
August 2nd, 2008, 01:30 AM
really long :) on my server it's a mix of characters currently 14 char's long.

And Dr Small, what method?

jualin
August 2nd, 2008, 01:34 AM
For my machine the password is usually 13-16 characters (symbols, numbers, letters) long. However for my wireless network I chose a 50 character WPA2 key, LOL!, The reason for that is that my family was scared of someone getting into our wireless network so we put that key which we change every 3 weeks. I got the idea from here (http://https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm). :lol:

Dr Small
August 2nd, 2008, 01:34 AM
really long :) on my server it's a mix of characters currently 14 char's long.

And Dr Small, what method?
Choose a word, it can be simple. Then hashing it in md5 or some other hash and selecting the first 10 characters of the hash. If you ever forget the password, you can always rehash the word and you have your password again.

It sounds uncomplicated and sensible. Nathangrubb told it to me, that LaRoza uses this method.

jualin
August 2nd, 2008, 01:36 AM
Choose a word, it can be simple. Then hashing it in md5 or some other hash and selecting the first 10 characters of the hash. If you ever forget the password, you can always rehash the word and you have your password again.

It sounds uncomplicated and sensible. Nathangrubb told it to me, that LaRoza uses this method.

Nice, very nice!!!

perlluver
August 2nd, 2008, 01:38 AM
Mine are between, 8 & 13. Alphanumeric, and some capitalized.

Dr Small
August 2nd, 2008, 01:43 AM
Ok. Now that we have seduced many of you into telling the length and physical properties of your passwords, we will now ask that you share your entire password, so we can judge if it is any good :)

Twitch6000
August 2nd, 2008, 01:44 AM
i have a variety of passwords between 8 and 12 characters. All alphanumeric with capitalizations.

what he said lol

perlluver
August 2nd, 2008, 01:44 AM
Ok. Now that we have seduced many of you into telling the length and physical properties of your passwords, we will now ask that you share your entire password, so we can judge if it is any good :)

No I am good, and you look like a Hacker.

tommynz1975
August 2nd, 2008, 01:45 AM
my pwords are around 10 characters.. I think now are called passphrase?

an Idea is to come up with a great sentance and remove from it certain characters..
example.
thegraveyboatisgreatatthetable

and remove from it 2 letters of choice and replace or not replace them with numbers. Lets remove H and G
so it would look like.
teraveyboatisreatattetable

an IMPORTANT NOTE ON PASSWORDS/PASSPHRASES.
never use a password you have seen in an example some place.

jualin
August 2nd, 2008, 01:46 AM
and remove from it 2 letters of choice and replace or not replace them with numbers. Lets remove H and G
so it would look like.
teraveyboatisreatattetable

We got a password, quickly hack his system

Dr Small
August 2nd, 2008, 01:47 AM
No I am good, and you look like a Hacker.
*Dr Small quickly removes his blackhat and dawns his white one.

At your service, Sir. :)

jualin
August 2nd, 2008, 01:49 AM
(Dexter's Laboratory Computer Voice) Warning, Warning, Our systems has been compromised, self destruction in 60 seconds, 59, 58, ...

tommynz1975
August 2nd, 2008, 01:52 AM
We got a password, quickly hack his system

HAHAHAHAHA

this is not my password nore a password i'd use
but by all means please please use it your self. :):guitar:

RATM_Owns
August 2nd, 2008, 01:56 AM
My password is 30 characters long.
xP

chris4585
August 2nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
somewhere around 13 characters maybe 15 in various capitols and letters/numbers

scragar
August 2nd, 2008, 02:21 AM

I'll provide you with a few of my old ones if you want, one I was a big fan of was:

a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

a whopping 35 characters(when I used it I did make it harder to guess, replacing some characters with numbers and such like, space for underscore, capitalising random letters etc.) and so hard to guess :P

one I had in high school which amazingly never got guessed was:

99 bottles of beer on the wall

with no extra styling, 2 weeks later I changed it to:

take 1 down pass it around

for about 1 hour just because I found it funny.
Havn't used any of those passwords in years though...

Oldsoldier2003
August 2nd, 2008, 02:23 AM
17 alphanumeric for user
21 alphanumeric mixed case with special characters for admin

Darkade
August 2nd, 2008, 02:26 AM
user: 14 alphanumerical
root.... well that's a whole other story. Longest administrative password was is 40 char symbols, numbers, letters and all that

kitili
August 2nd, 2008, 02:28 AM
my password is insecurepassword

Dr Small
August 2nd, 2008, 02:31 AM
I'll provide you with a few of my old ones if you want, one I was a big fan of was:

a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

a whopping 35 characters(when I used it I did make it harder to guess, replacing some characters with numbers and such like, space for underscore, capitalising random letters etc.) and so hard to guess :P

one I had in high school which amazingly never got guessed was:

99 bottles of beer on the wall

with no extra styling, 2 weeks later I changed it to:

take 1 down pass it around

for about 1 hour just because I found it funny.
Havn't used any of those passwords in years though...
You have inspired me with a thought for a new passphrase! :)

kostkon
August 2nd, 2008, 02:31 AM
I'll share with you my password to see how long it is:

-grubby
August 2nd, 2008, 02:32 AM

Most of mine are ridiculously long, between 15 and 30 characters, however there is a great risk of losing them. So, I think I'm going to change all my passwords to use Laroza's method

TravisNewman
August 2nd, 2008, 02:32 AM
eleventy billion

RiceMonster
August 2nd, 2008, 02:33 AM
Mine's over 9000 characters tbh

tashmooclam
August 2nd, 2008, 02:36 AM
I have longer passwords for my financial stuff, but a short password for my login to computers. Also, for skype and ichat login the password is very simple and short.

knightcoder
August 2nd, 2008, 02:39 AM
You can check the strength of your password here :
www.passwordmeter.com

Its really good. Analyzes various parameters to determine password strength.

collinp
August 2nd, 2008, 02:42 AM
my password is 999999999999999999999999999 characters long :).

solwic
August 2nd, 2008, 02:53 AM

So subtle, Doc. Nobody would ever guess your real intentions.

Social engineering at its best. :P

:cool:

scragar
August 2nd, 2008, 03:04 AM
my password is 999999999999999999999999999 characters long :).

erm... ok, that's a little long don't ya think? it'd actualy be easier to just memorise the hash it generates :P

Dr Small
August 2nd, 2008, 03:50 AM
So subtle, Doc. Nobody would ever guess your real intentions.

Social engineering at its best. :P

:cool:
I have yet to pull any of my social engineering attacks out of my hat. That was a meerly ment for giggles, you see :)

Masoris
August 2nd, 2008, 04:49 AM
my password is insecurepassword

I like your password. How about "ubuntupassword", "launchpadpassword", "googlepassword"?

And I just use "password" as my password, when I don't need to be secure.

RiceMonster
August 2nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
my root password is "letmein" tbh

pluviosity
August 2nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
Long enough ;)

hubie
August 2nd, 2008, 05:09 AM
I have three that I use often. The shortest is seven, and the longest is twelve. They all have mixed case, numbers, and funny characters.

I actually have a hard time remembering them because they all have moved into my muscle memory. If I ever want to write them down, I have to either type them out first, or go through the motions and pretend I'm typing because I will always mix up the case of some of the characters if I try to pull it only from memory. I guess I'll be screwed if I ever go a very long time without using one of them.

Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just another one of my endearing quirks?

Mr.Auer
August 2nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
An online password meter?? RED flag! Red flag!

I bet they log your IPs against the passwords you tested there, and proceed promptly to pwn you :)

NovaAesa
August 2nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
14 characters, varied case but no special chars. Although, IMO all characters are special in their own way :P

Lexicon101
August 2nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
My password doesn't use fixed characters. It's in SVG, and it's 12 inches long.
(Legen... wait for it...)

EDIT: (DARY!!!)

PurposeOfReason
August 2nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
An online password meter?? RED flag! Red flag!

I bet they log your IPs against the passwords you tested there, and proceed promptly to pwn you :)
Only for your computer though. I thought it was fun, trying to get 100% with something I'd actually remember.

paintba||er
August 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
Mine's only six characters. I'm not too obsessed with security, and I'd rather not have to type a long password fifty times a day...

Atomic Dog
August 2nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
I use two passwords. One is 8 char and one is 9.

Lexicon101
August 2nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
I use two passwords. One is 8 char and one is 9.

wow... "9" seems like a short password. You should find another, or just use the other one you've got.

Atomic Dog
August 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
wow... "9" seems like a short password. You should find another, or just use the other one you've got.

You're right. I should make it 19 ;-)

Barrucadu
August 2nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
I have a number of passwords that I use all over the place, depending on when I created my online accounts. My oldest password still in use is 8 characters, and next oldest is 15 characters. My user and root password on my laptop are both 32 characters.

Mateo
August 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
6 letters, all lowercase, dictionary word.

bobbocanfly
August 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
I have several:

9 chars, 13 chars, 25 chars, 32 chars

Trust me, if you find typing you password annoying, its going to be much more annoying for the people trying to crack it :)

artir
August 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
I have 1: 6 alphanumeric characters. Uncracked since 1998!(When i created it)

Bwahahaha.

RWells
August 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM
Short
Long

Short is longer than long, therefore I always use short passwords.

Shortpasswords
Longpasswords

RWells
August 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Only for your computer though. I thought it was fun, trying to get 100% with something I'd actually remember.

Ironically, My full name and social secerity number gets me to 100%

Lster
August 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Plenty long enough to be uncrackable.

stimpack
August 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
My login password is very short, 5chars because I like to get in fast.

For things like websites I use my own python hashing program to create 16charater passwords, based on address and a secret phrase.

For gpg and truecrypt i use same hashing algo. to create 63character passwords.

I use mixed case and numbers eg. bfqz1PfQq2wzfpbod1yzRy7uTsmr3Ts2oFV8SeFZ8tWBvVDXVY YddX3WfiV1ifm

I do not use punctuation despite the strength improvements because still too many things fall over with it, and I like the same algorithm for everything.

Polygon
August 2nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
you know you could easily up the number of tries it takes to crack your 100000 character length alpha-numeric password by just sticking a ^ or ( in there......instead of making it 50 extra characters longer then it needs to be.

anyway, my truecrypt password to boot my pc is 20 characters, my main passwords are about 10

Lostincyberspace
August 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
My pass is 1001 characters long nice and symetrical

AusIV4
August 2nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
My user account password is seven characters, alpha-numeric.

On my laptop, the hard drive is encrypted with a password between 20 and 25 characters, alpha-numeric with symbols, and varying capitalization.

I figure a weak-ish password that I type a lot is okay, since you have to have a password that's about as complex as a 128 bit key before you even have the opportunity to use the original.

SunnyRabbiera
August 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
10 currently, though sometimes 6 or 8.
I never go below 6 unless its a website or something where I dont feel like typing out a long PW.

Ozor Mox
August 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
10 characters for my secure password (login, online shopping, banking etc.)

8 characters for my medium password (forums, games...)

Then I have a bunch of others for stuff I don't really care about.

I change my two main passwords every so often.

I've often wondered whether I should use a password storing thing and have a different password for everything. Does anyone actually do that, or is it too much effort?

insane_alien
August 2nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
i... have no idea. like my pin number for my banck account it is just automatic to me. i don't conciously think about it. come to think of it, i can't actually conciously think what my password actually is.my old password for this forum was 8 characters long i believe.

Dr Small
August 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
10 characters for my secure password (login, online shopping, banking etc.)

8 characters for my medium password (forums, games...)

Then I have a bunch of others for stuff I don't really care about.

I change my two main passwords every so often.

I've often wondered whether I should use a password storing thing and have a different password for everything. Does anyone actually do that, or is it too much effort?
I store all my passwords with ged:
http://php.8ez.com/drsmall/blog/wp-content/bin/ged

billgoldberg
August 2nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
All my passwords are either "1234" or "god".

Moehahaha.

No, I have 4 different ones for various things, all of them around 12 long and a mixture between letters and numbers.

bren21
August 11th, 2008, 12:09 AM
My system password is 7 characters long, and is usually the same password for my junk email accounts, and forum accounts. I have an encrypted system though, and my password for that is around 50 characters, with letters both capitalized and not, numbers, and symbols too.

Xzallion
August 11th, 2008, 12:15 AM
All my passwords are 7+ characters, and are always an odd number of characters. They always include at least one capital, one number, and one symbol.