PDA

View Full Version : Buy Linux laptop in New Zealand

ad_267
August 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM
I've been thinking a bit about buying a laptop and I don't really want to pay extra for something with Windows on it as I wouldn't use it. The only thing I've been able to find is this from **** Smith: http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XC5822

I'm wondering if there's anywhere else that sells laptops with any Linux distribution on them or if I could buy an oem laptop with no operating system from anywhere around Auckland?

madjr
August 1st, 2008, 10:45 PM
Acer is very good

lisati
August 3rd, 2008, 04:20 AM
I've only ever seen those at **** Smith, they're a bit smaller than the regular laptop, and look too much like a toy for my liking, but the price is good. Their website lists some of the Linux models as "reduced to clear"

tamoneya
August 3rd, 2008, 04:25 AM
I think that zareason will ship to new zealand.
http://www.zareason.com/shop/home.php

gsimpson
December 24th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I've only ever seen those at **** Smith, they're a bit smaller than the regular laptop, and look too much like a toy for my liking, but the price is good. Their website lists some of the Linux models as "reduced to clear"

Are you not thinking of the ASUS eeepc. The Acer is a full size laptop. I am happy with mine. The only chore is to manually re-enable the wireless. A couple of minutes to do including a reboot.

KiwiNZ
December 24th, 2008, 12:41 AM
You may have to go to one of the small builders. The High Street stores wont have them.

Have you tried Bill Leckie in Auckland

ad_267
December 24th, 2008, 02:38 AM
You may have to go to one of the small builders. The High Street stores wont have them.

Have you tried Bill Leckie in Auckland

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yeah that **** Smith one isn't available any more so I think I will have to try a smaller store. I'm not sure that I will be getting a laptop any time soon but I'll keep that in mind. It's more something I'd like to have rather than something I really need.

gsimpson
September 30th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Now that stores are trying to unload Vista machines in anticipation of W7 there are some bargains out there. Get a Vista machine and dual boot it or reformat...