PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Gnome menu bar equivilent in KDE 4?

steampoweredlawngnome
August 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM
Hello,

Has anybody heard of a KDE 4 analog to Gnome's menu bar (applications, places, system)?

http://tuxtoday.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/gnome-menu.png

I really like KDE 4.1, except for the menu. I despise the default tabbed menu, and the KDE 3.5 menu is too much like Windows. I find both of them clumsy to use and visually too busy.

I've seen alternatives like the Raptor menu, but that's not quite what I'm looking for either.

I love Gnome's menu bar, separating applications, file systems and system settings. That menu bar alone is the reason I switched to Gnome from KDE 3.5 in the first place.

Any information would be much appreciated :D

Thanks!

TheOrangePeanut
August 1st, 2008, 07:39 PM
If you don't mind the added dependencies, you could run gnome-panel in KDE I guess.

steampoweredlawngnome
August 1st, 2008, 08:11 PM
I actually tried that, but decided it's not really a great solution. I'd like to stay plasma if at all possible.

pluviosity
August 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
I haven't had the chance to test this on Kubuntu with KDE 4, but on openSUSE 11, it is possible to have a setup similar to Gnome. Just remove the default menu and add two traditional menus by right clicking the panel and adding the appropriate widgets.

For an Applications menu, remove all the icons that are not applications by right clicking and selecting "Menu Editor."

For Places, right click on the menu icon and select "Application Launcher Menu Settings," and pick "Computer" under the view. I dunno how to customize this menu to completely mimic Gnome.

For Settings, since KDE centralizes most settings into a control center, I just have an icon there for Kcontrol, or whatever the default is (not a menu, but close enough for my purposes).

arizonagroovejet
August 2nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Sounds to me like you want KDE's classic menu style as was used in 3.5. Go to
http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/ and search for "You can choose between the Kickoff application launcher and the classic menu style."