PDA

View Full Version : Glossy or Matte the new TFT or CRT...?

gn2
August 1st, 2008, 07:11 PM
Is the debate between Glossy or Matte TFT screens the new TFT or CRT debate?

Will Matte TFT screens die out just as CRT screens did.....?

I seem to remember that CRT screens were made of glass which was a bit shiny, almost glossy.....?

kostkon
August 1st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Is the debate between Glossy or Matte TFT screens the new TFT or CRT debate?

Will Matte TFT screens die out just as CRT screens did.....?

I seem to remember that CRT screens were made of glass which was a bit shiny, almost glossy.....?
Indeed CRTs are made of glass and are a little shiny. But not so much as glossy TFTs, I believe. Nevertheless, they were some manufacturers that were putting an antistatic and anti-reflective coating on their CRT monitors.

I believe matte TFTs will not die out. These screens are good in high-light conditions so many people prefer them over the glossy ones.

insane_alien
August 1st, 2008, 09:03 PM
i have recently got a glossy screen after using a matt screen for 3 years.

i only notice the difference when i turn it off.

phidia
August 1st, 2008, 10:17 PM
Eyes differ I guess I find I can use a matte screen much longer, without tiring or headaches, than I can a glossy one.

For sometime I didn't realize the affect staring at a glossy screen was having, but now that I'm paying attention to it-it's very apparent.

hessiess
August 1st, 2008, 10:25 PM
CRT's arnt completely dead yet ;), thay still have much faster response times, higher contrast and more accurate color representation than LCD displays. If I had room for one, I would use a CRT.

mrmorris
August 1st, 2008, 11:19 PM
As a developer, the glossy is really a no brainier. The images appears so much more calm and with a better contrast. Matte TFT's have this weird graininess issue which is hard on the eyes, especially when looking at bright white background of an IDE all day long.

Oddly enough most seem to prefer matte coating due to the reflection issue. I have never really found that to be a problem unless you sit outside or have a large window right behind you. Of course, I'm told of this thing called curtains which can do wonders too.

Superkoop
August 2nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
I like using a dark theme, which is pretty bad for reflection issues. But, on a lighter colored theme, reflection issues aren't as bad.

phidia
August 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
"A no brainer"? Yeah absence of brain is very common. And the curtain idea, ignoring the sarcasm, works very well when traveling and at wifi locations too.
Curtains aren't a solution for overhead or other strong lighting sources.
Since opinions not facts are so predominant-just use matte-it's a no brainer!

billgoldberg
August 2nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Do yourself a favor and go with an matte TFT.

Vadi
August 2nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Glossy! Nicer blacks that I see.