PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [Suggestion] Sell Ubuntu / Tux keyboards.

maandverband
August 1st, 2008, 04:33 PM
I hate to see Microsoft-logo's everywhere. You go to a shop and you see PC's and laptops with Windows case-badges, hardware with the Windows-logo on the box and there's no way to buy a keyboard without that Windows-logo. I don't use Windows, so I don't want a Windows-logo on my keyboard.

It's really nice to see System76 selling PC's, laptops and servers with Ubuntu. I like those case-badges with the Ubuntu-logo. Really a great job! I teared the "Designed for Windows XP"-badge off my laptop and replaced it with the "Powered by Ubuntu"-badge. Way better.

Next task: Get rid off that Windows-logo on the keyboards. Why do the laptops from System76 have a Windows-key? Why can I only choose from Logitech keyboard (which have Windows-keys) when ordering a desktop?

It'd be nice if System76 could make a Ubuntu-keyboard or a Tux-keyboard. A Tux-keyboard would be even better, because then people who run an other distribution can also order the keyboard.

The number of Linux-users keeps growing and growing, so I think there's a market for these keyboard. It's also more proffessional when there isn't a Windows-key on a laptop bought at System76 (or any other manufacturer who sells Linux-systems).

thomasaaron
August 1st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Yes, this is a critical bug indeed.
Please follow progress on this bug here...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/system76/+bug/154027

prshah
August 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM
Next task: Get rid off that Windows-logo on the keyboards. Why do the laptops from System76 have a Windows-key?

http://images.google.co.in/images?q=ubuntu%20keyboard

carnytom
January 30th, 2009, 02:11 PM
A friend and I had Tux keys professionally printed over the M$ junk. We purchased 30 keyboards from ebay cleaned them up and sent out all the superkeys to get redone with TUX.. our cost was just under $300, for 30 boards that's not to bad. We mainly did this because we wanted to have them. I still have about 20 left. I did try to list them on ebay for cost plus shipping but got no takers. I see there are now sites out there selling them for $25 -$40. If any one would like one of ours let me know.

- Tom