PDA

View Full Version : Suggesting Linux at school - possible?

3ra
August 1st, 2008, 03:55 PM
So..Our school is in a leading computer/laptop project in the country, and almost all students are equipped with laptops and laggy ****** errorfull windowns.

Heres the idea; The school gets a certain amount of money from the state for this computer project, but, how about for the new students to get a much much more stripped and cheap laptop, with some sort of linux version on it? Then theres alot more money for any other things that the school should invest in.

We only use text editors (OpenOffice gogo?), and web browsing. Some use PS cs2, but that works in linux via wine. Only problem may be TI Interactive (math program) but maybe there is a substitute for it.

So, is the idea curant or does it smell fail?

Sorry for the squishy english, not the native tounge :)

tamoneya
August 1st, 2008, 03:58 PM
sounds like a great idea. Take a look into edubuntu. It is ubuntu but geared towards the education environment.

dominiquec
August 1st, 2008, 03:58 PM
For projects like this, it's really a matter of political will more than technology or even cost.

I would recommend you identify the key decision-maker and sponsors first, and make the pitch to them.

DeadSuperHero
August 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM
Also, make sure you find Linux-compatible alternatives to EVERY Windows App your school needs.

STI Classroom is a big one at our school that has NO alternative that I know of. Then again, it could be done in Linux with a frontend to a MySQL database specifically for Student information and grades.

EDIT: These threads may be useful to you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=609272

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=648456

billgoldberg
August 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
sounds like a great idea. Take a look into edubuntu. It is ubuntu but geared towards the education environment.

Edubuntu is more geared to children, not really for people who use things like Adobe Photoshop :p

--

Ontopic: You could try but I doubt they will take the bait.

All (or most) of the IT people would be clueless.

And they more than likely have contracts with Microsoft they can't easily ditch.

smartboyathome
August 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM
I tried at my elementary school, which was still running Mac OS9 :o, but they didn't want it even though the tech would have no problem switching over.

3ra
August 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
All (or most) of the IT people would be clueless.

The head IT guy can actually alot about Linux, wonder if he maybe roams these forums :) He's also not one of those 40 year old sullen guys, young fellow with alot knowledge on the field.

aysiu
August 1st, 2008, 04:18 PM
Maybe propose Linux laptops with Windows installed as virtual machines inside? That way people can fall back to Windows if necessary, but it'd be a little less convenient and take a performance hit.

Canis familiaris
August 1st, 2008, 04:23 PM
Maybe propose Linux laptops with Windows installed as virtual machines inside? That way people can fall back to Windows if necessary, but it'd be a little less convenient and take a performance hit.

+1

Though in my PC the performance hit is not so much that it'll bother me.

billgoldberg
August 1st, 2008, 04:28 PM

That won't make a chance to be accepted.

This is how I image that talk would go.

Guy: I heard you guys are planning on purchasing new computers for next school year.

Admin: Yes we do.

Guy: Would you consider switching them over to a linux distro like Ubuntu, instead of using Windows Vista (xp)?

Admin: Why would we? (a more realistic answer would be: "No", but lets so he says so for arguments sake)

Guy: Ubuntu is a free OS. It is safe from all sorts of malware, <insert marketing pitches>.

Admin: We need application X and Y, and they only run on Windows Vista.

Guy: No problem, for those applications we could use virtualization software to run Windows Vista inside of Ubuntu, so people can still use those apps.

Admin: So you are saying that we should switch over to a free OS, but then still have to buy the licenses for Vista?

Guy: Eum, yes.

Admin: Please leave and don't bother me again.

Guy: But you could also run those apps in Wine or Cedega but I can't garantee they will work.

Admin: Didn't I ask you to leave. <Slams door in face>

Guy: Dammit.

Now, if the school didn't need Windows only apps, then you could suggest it to them.

Or you could ask how they feel about the Open Source alternatives.

But somehow I doubt the Photoshop using students will like the switch to the Gimp.

Canis familiaris
August 1st, 2008, 04:35 PM
That won't make a chance to be accepted.

Thats true too.

3ra
August 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM
T

But somehow I doubt the Photoshop using students will like the switch to the Gimp.

But wine into all the computers being handed out, Photosop cs2 works fine there ? or..