PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can Window's Viruses attack Ubuntu ?

chinnaraaju
August 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hi,

I have been using windows xp operating system in my desktop PC.
Frequently i am facing virus attacks in my computer.
so i am planning to install ubuntu in my system as an alternate to windows.
At present XP is installed in C: Drive. other drives D:,E:,F: are in Fat32 file system.
i am planning to mount D,E,F drives after installing ubuntu in C: drive.

Will there be any possibility that the viruses( compatible to windows) in other drives attack ubuntu after installation.

Regards,
Chinna.

Sef
August 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Will there be any possibility that the viruses( compatible to windows) in other drives attack ubuntu after installation.

If you are using Ubuntu, viruses won't affect your XP partition. If you have a shared partition and .doc documents, for example, they can be infected.

hansdown
August 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Hi chinnaraaju. Ubuntu will not allow exectable files to run. You can however pass viruses, etc. to windows machines.
You can install clamav which will let you scan and remove them so you don't pass them on.
If you go to system > administration > synaptic package manager, you can search for clamav and install it. Welcome to the forums.

Aetherius
August 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM
short answer, no, viruses designed for windows will not work on linux

see here (http://xkcd.com/272/) for further information ;)

wpshooter
August 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
Chinn:

I don't think you really have to worry about this.

Because Ubuntu is SO SECURE that most of the times, even the owner of the machine/computer has problems getting access to things they need might less anyone/thing from the outside world being able to get to them !!!