PDA

View Full Version : Rhythmbox Mock-up

joshdudeha
August 1st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Hello,

The other day, when I was using rhythmbox, I just thought its interface is quite boring, nothing exciting in it. No good features really.
So I started making a mockup.
Now, it's only in its early stages, and I can't get player controls at the bottom to look very good, so it only has a play button at the moment.
But, it's not completely finished.

I just wanted some opinions on it at this point in time.

I would upload the .xcf but the forums wont take it as it is 5.4mb and I don't really know of any file hosting sites :/
Tell me, and I'll e-mail you the .xcf (:

TheSlipstream
August 1st, 2008, 11:54 AM
Love it. It's a shame I can't give the same love to Rhythmbox. Maybe I'll just imagine this is for Banshee. ;)

Rayaz
August 1st, 2008, 11:58 AM
Cool! When will you complete it? I would love to use it.

joshdudeha
August 1st, 2008, 12:46 PM
Um, when I have a bit more time.
Just, I'm not too good with GIMP, and making controls seemed a bit hard at the moment.
I will try get it finished soon though (:

And maybe try and talk to developers about it? If everyone thinks it is good enough of course, I hate to be big-headed.

Is there anyway I could code it for rhythmbox? I wouldn't mind doing a bit of programming.

duckgoesoink
August 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM
I think it looks cool, but I would feel strange using it. I like the interface as it is - I used iTunes for a few years before Ubuntu, so it feels natural.

Interested to see how it looks with the controls though. :-)

joshdudeha
August 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Yeah I know what you mean.
That was just my view on it (:
Thanks for suggestions, hope to hear many more.

Martje_001
August 1st, 2008, 09:12 PM
I don't like it :(. It does not integrate with GNOME or KDe..

Exershio
August 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM
It's cool looking, but I'd rather stick with minimalistic and simplicity instead of fancy looks. And like Martje_001 said, it doesn't really integrate well with GNOME or KDE

kostkon
August 2nd, 2008, 03:01 AM
It's not bad, but I have to say that it kinda reminds me of Quicktime.

jualin
August 2nd, 2008, 03:09 AM
It looks very nice.

lyceum
August 2nd, 2008, 03:16 AM
That "play" button is HUGE! I love the design. I would make that play button (and the others that go with it when they are done) smaller. Otherwise it makes me want to use Rhythmbox!

:popcorn:

tretle
August 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
good work

tretle
August 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
http://bp1.blogger.com/_NncjCndy0C4/SJUKwcHpu0I/AAAAAAAAAX4/YBwWp0iAMs4/s1600-h/Mockup+9.png

Thats one of my mockups I have been creating for the developers. My advice to you if your interested in gnome projects is to send on the mockups to the mailing list.
Try and be more gnome compliant and realistic when creating a mockup for a project.
If you are interested in usability creating mockups for developers can be a huge benefit as they get to test out how UI's would work and often quench arguments on mailing lists without having to waste time developing something that might not work.
For instance in the after finishing the mockup above I came to the conclusion that the slider for the volume wouldnt be a good change but the drop box for views might be a good idea when macslows sparkle is introduced.
One of the developers also liked the cell spacing over the album art in the mockup and has integrated it into svn.

joshdudeha
August 3rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
That's really good.
I like that mock-up (:
Mine is a bit distant from gnome or kde. But I just made something that was different to the DE's you know.. just something I liked.

But, I might go back - and totally re-design it.. with the DE in mind. But it will still be different ^_^

Thanks everyone for your comments (:
Hope to hear more lol.