PDA

View Full Version : The most user friendly BSD distro?

global citizen
August 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM
Hello guys,

Could you tell me which BSD distro is the most easiest to use, I mean to install and other things which a newbie requires and is still a good stable distro? Please inform as I wish to try out BSD. One more thing if you could tell me is about the difference between Linux and BSD? I know BSD is a UNIX varient and Linux is developed by Mr. Linus so is Linux farther from Unix than BSD?:popcorn:

forger
August 1st, 2008, 11:00 AM
you could try pc-bsd, it has KDE as a desktop manager(?) and you can download packages to install applications:
www.pcbsd.org
http://www.pbidir.com/

K.Mandla
August 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM
Moved to BSD Discussions.

cardinals_fan
August 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM
I vote for DesktopBSD.

mips
August 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
I vote for DesktopBSD.

+1 only because it stays closer to FreeBSD than PCBSD does.

cardinals_fan
August 1st, 2008, 07:24 PM
+1 only because it stays closer to FreeBSD than PCBSD does.
That's my reason too ;)

mips
August 1st, 2008, 07:52 PM
That's my reason too ;)

I'm actaully tempted to try FBSD+kde4.1 on my laptop to see how it compares to Arch. but then again I also have a very soft spot for OBSD :)

cardinals_fan
August 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
I'm actaully tempted to try FBSD+kde4.1 on my laptop to see how it compares to Arch. but then again I also have a very soft spot for OBSD :)
NetBSD is my favorite. It's so clean :)

mips
August 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
NetBSD is my favorite. It's so clean :)

What do you mean by 'clean'?

kahlil88
August 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
One more thing if you could tell me is about the difference between Linux and BSD? I know BSD is a UNIX varient and Linux is developed by Mr. Linus so is Linux farther from Unix than BSD?:popcorn:

The GNU (http://www.gnu.org/) Project was launched in 1984 to develop a complete Unix-like operating system which is free software: The GNU system (GNU's Not Unix). GNU's kernel wasn't finished, so GNU is used with the kernel Linux (developed by Linus Torvalds).

BSDs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Software_Distribution) are derived from Berkeley Unix, which is a descendant of the original UNIX.

Bachstelze
August 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
And as a side-note, speaking of "BSD distributions" in the same way one speaks of "(GNU/)Linux distributions" is not correct. All the Linux distributions share the same core components (the Linux kernel, primarily, but also lots of GNU tools like the coreutils, sed, tar, etc. -- hence the name). OSes like FreeBsd, OpenBSD, NetBSD and friends, on the other hand, are completely independent from each other, and each of them is a complete OS on its own account.

Therefore, it is more accurate to speak of "BSD-based" or "-derived" OSes, rather than "BSD distros".

cardinals_fan
August 2nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
What do you mean by 'clean'?
Simple. The base system is extremely minimal and easy to understand.

Comhra
August 3rd, 2008, 12:32 AM
Just wondering, does NetBSD have a GUI by default or would the user have to install one?

cardinals_fan
August 3rd, 2008, 12:47 AM
Just wondering, does NetBSD have a GUI by default or would the user have to install one?
It comes with a fully functional XFree86 out of the box, but, unless you're enough of a masochist to use twm (which I have), you'll need to install more.

NetBSD won't hold your hand. Read the handbook and the pkgsrc guide, and be ready to do things yourself.