PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using KDE

Jesdisciple
August 1st, 2008, 09:57 AM
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktopI just ran that and now have no clue how to use it. I've read something about a login screen, but all I see on startup is a username/password field. Could I get some clarification?

Thanks!

prshah
August 1st, 2008, 10:52 AM
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktopI've read something about a login screen, but all I see on startup is a username/password field.

Enter/select your username from the login screen; before entering your password, press F10, then choose "Session" and choose "KDE". then enter your password and hit enter.

You will be given a choice to make the session change permanent ("Make default"); maybe you shouldn't do this for the first few times, until you're comfortable with KDE.

Jesdisciple
August 2nd, 2008, 06:12 AM
OK, I have a few problems... I'll post the last one to Server Platforms if you don't know.

How can I turn off the setting that makes window focus follow the mouse? I told it not to do that when I logged in, but the settings apparently carried over from Gnome.

How can I disable the way some windows (maybe only Kedit) only show the titlebar when blurred? (I looked in Kedit's Settings.)

My keys react too fast when I hold them down just a tad extra; how can I slow them down?

My symbolic link for XAMPP suddenly doesn't work so I can't test my PHP... That doesn't make any sense to me, but how can I fix it?

Thanks!