PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Ubuntu on the whole disk (windows partition deleted)

Steistas
August 1st, 2008, 08:59 AM
Good time of the day to you all,

My younger brother just done one big mistake and is trying to get information back. He has hard drive with 4 partitions (all NTFS), on 1st partition was windows xp, 2nd and 3rd had important information, 4th partition was empty, when he was installing ubuntu, he has chosen the whole disk and without asking me (his english isn't very good) assumed that Ubuntu will find empty partition and install itself into it :). Well, obviously it didn't happened, but all the 4 partitions on the hard drive were deleted together with study and work information. Is it possible to restore the old partitions or at least some information from them and how? Thanks a lot in advance.

iaculallad
August 1st, 2008, 09:10 AM
With that problem, the solution could probably be TestDisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk).

Steistas
August 1st, 2008, 01:15 PM
Yes, thanks a lot - TestDisk is a GREAT software, it did restore all the information and brother was saying that everything is very simply done.

Cool Surfer
August 1st, 2008, 03:53 PM
Ya it formatted my full c drive too. I have installed different linux distros for a long time, including ubuntus previous versions. But the latest vesion formatted the whole c drive. :(

timjohn7
August 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM
With that problem, the solution could probably be TestDisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk).

I installed TestDisk from the repos but cant find it on my Applications or System menu lists. Where does one find it?

dje
August 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
I installed TestDisk from the repos but cant find it on my Applications or System menu lists. Where does one find it?

it is a command line app, open a terminal (Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal) and type:

testdisk

hope that helps,
dje

timjohn7
August 1st, 2008, 07:51 PM
it is a command line app, open a terminal (Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal) and type:

testdisk

hope that helps,
dje

Thanks... I tried that and get a message saying that TestDisk requires 25 lines? I don't know how to change terminal size to get more lines. Excuse my noobness. I also dont want to fill this thread with irrelevant problems.

dje
August 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks... I tried that and get a message saying that TestDisk requires 25 lines? I don't know how to change terminal size to get more lines. Excuse my noobness. I also dont want to fill this thread with irrelevant problems.

just maximise the terminal ;)

dje