PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Need information on Ubuntu on portable disk

slo_HB
August 1st, 2008, 08:42 AM
HI

I'm new about Linux (want to try something new). I use XP (Hate Vista). I saw on youtube few clips what UBUNTU LINUX XGL BERYL can do and I decided to try Linux.

Since I have Portable disc (80GB - Prestigio, 3 years old) and I dont want to waste time with formatting my computer (yet!), I was wondering if I could install Ubuntu, or any other OS, on my Portable disc!
Now i have installed MojoPac on that disc. It nice. But since i want to try Ubuntu I need to know if it is possible to do what i want!

Information about My comp (i think it is neede) - My Computer is 3 years old, decent (3GB RAM, 2,2GHz DualCore Intel, ATI 512 , 4 harddisc (way over 1TB of capacity), etc ...), Win XP, shi***load of apps (from MS Office with addons, OpenOffice, Adobe, CAD's), not to mention games, tutorials, ... and other stuff.

Questions:
#1 - So is it possible to Install UBUNTU on my portable disc?!
#2 - If it is possible, what do I have to do to install?
#3 - Where/How to get LINUX XGL BERYL (copy paste from Youtube :P :D)?
#4 - More to come IF/When i get reply!

Thanx

slo_HB

overdrank
August 1st, 2008, 09:18 AM
HI

I'm new about Linux (want to try something new). I use XP (Hate Vista). I saw on youtube few clips what UBUNTU LINUX XGL BERYL can do and I decided to try Linux.

Since I have Portable disc (80GB - Prestigio, 3 years old) and I dont want to waste time with formatting my computer (yet!), I was wondering if I could install Ubuntu, or any other OS, on my Portable disc!
Now i have installed MojoPac on that disc. It nice. But since i want to try Ubuntu I need to know if it is possible to do what i want!

Information about My comp (i think it is neede) - My Computer is 3 years old, decent (3GB RAM, 2,2GHz DualCore Intel, ATI 512 , 4 harddisc (way over 1TB of capacity), etc ...), Win XP, shi***load of apps (from MS Office with addons, OpenOffice, Adobe, CAD's), not to mention games, tutorials, ... and other stuff.

Questions:
#1 - So is it possible to Install UBUNTU on my portable disc?!
#2 - If it is possible, what do I have to do to install?
#3 - Where/How to get LINUX XGL BERYL (copy paste from Youtube :P :D)?
#4 - More to come IF/When i get reply!

Thanx

slo_HB
Hi and welcome,
#1 & 2 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Installing%20on%20external%20or%20RAI D%20hard%20disks
#3 Beryl is no longer as it a merged with compiz-fusion. You can look at the FAQ's link in my signature.