PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome Appearance / Theme issue.

Sean-Michael
August 1st, 2008, 07:46 AM
I run into issues when I try change and costumize my themes threw the appearances manager.

1. Theme previews are not shown as I would expect.

2. When I try to cosumize my theme I get this...

and...

Makes it hard to customize things and sometimes I have to restart for the effects to take effect. Only the Gtk-ChTheme really seems to work.

Serval Performance(System76), GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB, AMD64 Ubuntu 8.04, Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4 GHz,

Thanks in advance for help!
Sean-Michael.

doublemeat
January 12th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I noticed something similar. The "Appearance Preferences" applet used to work, as it did for all my Ubuntu installations. For this one particular installation of 8.10 x64, I also installed the "gtk-chtheme" applet. Ever since then, Appearance Preferences no longer works--similar to what you described. Even doing a full removal of gtk-chtheme, and a reboot, did nothing to restore it. Now my only option is to reinstall gtk-chtheme, and use that. Only prob is it isn't as customizable as Appearance Preferences is! Sucks...

doublemeat
January 12th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I noticed something similar. The "Appearance Preferences" applet used to work, as it did for all my Ubuntu installations. For this one particular installation of 8.10 x64, I also installed the "gtk-chtheme" applet. Ever since then, Appearance Preferences no longer works--similar to what you described. Even doing a full removal of gtk-chtheme, and a reboot, did nothing to restore it. Now my only option is to reinstall gtk-chtheme, and use that. Only prob is it isn't as customizable as Appearance Preferences is! Sucks...

After much searching I found the solution (obliquely):

sudo aptitude purge gtk-chtheme
sudo aptitude purge gtk-qt-engine
rm ~/.gtkrc-2.0The last line was the part I was missing. Control will not be restored to Appearance Preferences without removing ~/.gtkrc-2.0!

):P

Sean-Michael
January 12th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Many thanks to you for coming back and sharing!

I had been avoiding the appearance manager since my original post.

Again, thank you!