PDA

View Full Version : I have never heard this mentioned as a plus side to linux. But it is a great one.

xequence
November 8th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Noone ever says it for some reason, but has anyone noticed Linux has much better support for older computers? Nowadays if you have 64 MB RAM or something you can just use openbox or icewm. (Or if you can run gnome or kde, you can still use them. I am on blackbox now) In windows you have to use a 8-10 year old version to get that. Who nowadays uses debian hamm? Not many people. Who uses windows 98? Quite a few.

23meg
November 8th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Maybe you haven't come across it but this is often cited as a plus for Linux.

Mr. Electric Wizard
November 8th, 2005, 10:30 PM
It was for me...

lothar_m
November 8th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Maybe you haven't come across it but this is often cited as a plus for Linux.

I agree.
I've seen this argument being used a lot.

-Rick-
November 8th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Noone ever says it for some reason, but has anyone noticed Linux has much better support for older computers? Nowadays if you have 64 MB RAM or something you can just use openbox or icewm. (Or if you can run gnome or kde, you can still use them. I am on blackbox now) In windows you have to use a 8-10 year old version to get that. Who nowadays uses debian hamm? Not many people. Who uses windows 98? Quite a few.
64 MB? Which browser do you use? My moms comp was just to slow(celeron 400 mhz, 64 MB ram) for a decent browser(firefox/epiphany impossible, opera hardly possible)...
Windows 2000+Firefox is however quite possible...

xequence
November 9th, 2005, 12:04 AM
64 MB? Which browser do you use? My moms comp was just to slow(celeron 400 mhz, 64 MB ram) for a decent browser(firefox/epiphany impossible, opera hardly possible)...
Windows 2000+Firefox is however quite possible...

I dont have 64 MB RAM. Just from my experience getting fluxbox to work on an old 70 mhz pentium with 16 MB RAM, with 4 times that RAM I am guessing openbox which is lighter then fluxbox will work. Openbox takes up like 1 MB RAM or something ;)

drizek
November 9th, 2005, 07:45 AM
ubuntu isnt the best distro for slow computers. get something like vector or feather for that.

-Rick-
November 9th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I dont have 64 MB RAM. Just from my experience getting fluxbox to work on an old 70 mhz pentium with 16 MB RAM, with 4 times that RAM I am guessing openbox which is lighter then fluxbox will work. Openbox takes up like 1 MB RAM or something ;)
I tried fluxbox, XFCE and IceWM. IceWM was the best. Everything goes well untill you start a somewhat 'heavier' X app. And running more than one was just impossible.
I think the biggest problem is that you need more ram than windows(using swap most of the time, even when opening pages in a browser...).

ubuntu isnt the best distro for slow computers. get something like vector or feather for that.
I know, I tried FreeBSD instead.