PDA

View Full Version : Which Ubuntu is easier for you!

Living2007
August 1st, 2008, 07:10 AM
Their are so many versions of Ubuntu, what type is easier for you to use?

chris4585
August 1st, 2008, 07:12 AM
plain vanilla

chucky chuckaluck
August 1st, 2008, 07:14 AM
if i were to use ubuntu again, i'd use the alternate cd (if there still is one), or the server edition, and just add a wm and the apps i need.

Living2007
August 6th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I believe it all depeneds on what you want Ubuntu to do and your system specs. For me Xubuntu on a VM.

cardinals_fan
August 6th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Xubuntu, because I vastly prefer Xfce to both GNOME and KDE.

EDIT: Chucky's selection above would be even better.

tuxxy
August 6th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Ubuntu oh yes GNOME ftw! :lolflag:

grossaffe
August 6th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I tried Kubuntu but it annoys the crap out of me. I try to use it like GNOME and it doesn't work :(

smartboyathome
August 6th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I tried Kubuntu but it annoys the crap out of me. I try to use it like GNOME and it doesn't work :(

Try Xubuntu? Or OzOS/Maryan Linux? :)

tamoneya
August 6th, 2008, 05:27 AM
its not really a question of ease. They are all more or less the same with the exception of the DE/WM. This is a matter of GUI preference. In that case though I prefer ubuntu. Gnome just works unlike KDE which can be tricky sometimes.

doorknob60
August 6th, 2008, 05:35 AM
For me, I feel more comfortable using KDE (so it's easier for me), so I choose Kubuntu. In general, I'd say Ubuntu is the easiest though, so I recommend it over Kubuntu to people.

AusIV4
August 6th, 2008, 05:42 AM
I may be a bit unusual in that I use Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Kubuntu on three different computers.

I'm a fan of the principles of KDE. I like a number of KDE applications, and the ease of configuration found in KDE. I use Kubuntu on my desktop for these reasons.

For wireless and power management, Gnome seems to be a step above KDE, which is why I use Ubuntu on my laptop. I don't like having to use gconf-editor to get my system the way I want it, but having stable power management and wireless is essential for my laptop.

Lastly, I use Xubuntu on my media center. It boots quickly and has low overhead, which is important for a system I keep off most of the time, but don't want to wait when I turn it on.

Each version has its benefits, it just depends on what you need it for.

grossaffe
August 6th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Try Xubuntu? Or OzOS/Maryan Linux? :)

oh no, Ubuntu itself if fine for me. I just gave Kubuntu a try just because. That partition doesn't see much activity.

RiceMonster
August 6th, 2008, 07:36 AM
If I were to install Ubuntu again, it'd be Xubuntu, because Xfce is the best DE, IMO. I'll vote that then.

Masoris
August 6th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Ubuntu is the easiest. Because it's most popular, so you can find help and tips easily than others.
If Kubuntu was most popular, Kubuntu would be easiest.

Giant Speck
August 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I love my Kubuntu. :)

But I hate KDE 4.1 :mad: