PDA

View Full Version : Did your last Ubuntu install fail?

master5o1
August 1st, 2008, 04:01 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=817168
(in relation to above link thread)

Did your last Ubuntu install fail?

to get a more 'real' percentage rather than guess work and perception.

Also, I fail at posting threads and doing polls... accidentally put yes as my answer, actual answer for me is no, so yeah...
if you are going to put yes can you put no and tell us in the post :)

cardinals_fan
August 1st, 2008, 04:39 AM
My last Xubuntu install was flawless. It was too bloated, so I replaced it with Arch. However, it worked fine.

InfinityCircuit
August 1st, 2008, 04:41 AM
Yes: My JMicron supporter is not supported by Hardy. I had to bootstrap from a Debian CD and use the Intrepid kernels.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/198871

master5o1
August 1st, 2008, 04:52 AM
has anone corrected my vote yet?
(i don't think I can and I meant to put 'no' but accidentally put 'yes')

doorknob60
August 1st, 2008, 05:04 AM
I installed Ubuntu with Wubi on my friend's laptop, it couldn't have gone better! Seriously! Popped the Cd in, chose install in Windows, it did it's thing, rebooted, opened the live CD installer in it's native 1280x1024 with the nice looking Hardy background, finished installing, restarted, opened Ubuntu, logged in, plugged in USB wifi adapter (the integrated wifi doesn't even work in Windows), typed in WEP key, all done :D The integrated Intel graphics work amazingly, he spends a lot of his time playing N64 games on Mupen64plus, installed easily from getdeb. He loves it, he's gone back in to Windows only once since then, only to show me a cool hidden song thing that's in Windows XP that he saw a Youtube video about :P That was a perfect out of the box experience

init1
August 1st, 2008, 06:10 AM
Yes, actually. It was a mini.iso install using a pendrive. I was able to fix it, but it had trouble downloading installer components. You would think that a major distro wouldn't have this issue. But no, the installer is broken several months after the release. It wasn't when Hardy first came out though. I really think that Ubuntu is simply going too fast. So many bugs exist in it that did no exist in previous versions. To quote Emerson: "It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other".

RiceMonster
August 1st, 2008, 06:21 AM
Ubuntu works perfectly for me right out of the box, so no.

hansdown
August 1st, 2008, 06:38 AM
My install went beautfully.

MidsummerDreams
August 1st, 2008, 07:23 AM
My install was fast and not so furious. I'm shocked it went over so well and smoothly honestly.

:guitar:

BigSilly
August 1st, 2008, 07:32 AM
Installed various Ubuntus a few times now. Never had one fail on me. :confused:

/touches wood

ghindo
August 1st, 2008, 07:37 AM
I've installed Ubuntu many times, with many versions (Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Server, 6.10-8.04), on many computers and architectures and never had any fail on me.

Masoris
August 1st, 2008, 07:44 AM
I had no problem to install Ubuntu, even wireless USB Lan works perfectly. But I had to install envy-ng for my Nvidia graphic driver.

Orlsend
August 1st, 2008, 08:04 AM
That was like my First Ubuntu Install, Sadly When I tried its on my Dad's we got those anoying Initramfs problems (Sadly there nvr a Solution for those, rather than just get a new computer or just keep dreaming of Linux)