PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 on a USB key: can't read superblock

Browser_ice
August 1st, 2008, 03:41 AM
I decided to try out the PenDriveLinux to have a persistent 8.04 on my MP3 player (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05/15/usb-ubuntu-804-persistent-install-from-linux/).

I was using 2 terminal windows to do this : 1 to download the 8.04 ISO release (I am on 7.10) and one to do the rest of the commands listed in that procedure above. I think on of them may not have been with ROOT so I will try again tomorrow.

Anyway, just in case it was not a ROOT id problem, at the point where I have to disconnect/reconnect my USB MP3 Player (1Gb) I got a message telling me it couldn't read the superblock. My knowledge is somewhat limited so I checked in the /media and didn't my ubuntu8 drive. I did a search on that problem and alot of the threads didn't get any answers. Anyone got ideas ?

. . .
Type umount /dev/sda1 to unmount the partition
Type mkfs.vfat -F 16 -n ubuntu8 /dev/sda1 to format the first partition
Type umount /dev/sda2 to ensure the partition is unmounted
Type mkfs.ext2 -b 4096 -L casper-rw /dev/sda2 to format the second partition
Remove and re-insert your flash drive (if prompted that a new medium has been detected, select to open in a new window and click ok)
Back at the terminal, type sudo apt-get install syslinux mtools

Type syslinux -sf /dev/sda1
Type cd /cdrom
Type cp -rfv casper dists install pics pool preseed .disk isolinux/* md5sum.txt README.diskdefines install/mt86plus /media/ubuntu8
. . .

I will try again tomorrow and making sure I am sudo - root.

By the way, the procedure didn't really say why I have to create 2 partitions. I am guessing one is for the swap but why is the first one in FAT16 having all the Ubuntu files ? Why can't it be formated in Linux ? Is it because USB booting procedures have to be in a FAT* format ?