PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu How Long Have you been using it?

robotman5
August 1st, 2008, 03:39 AM
2 days for me ill be trying it for awhile:guitar:

Corfy
August 1st, 2008, 03:44 AM
I first tried Debian in February 2005. I switched to Ubuntu that October or November (after 5.10 was released). At that point, though, I was just playing around with Linux, but Windows was my primary OS. I made Ubuntu my primary OS in July 2006, and completely wiped Windows off my computer last month.

articpenguin
August 1st, 2008, 03:44 AM
2 years for me. I switched to linux full time 2 weeks ago.

dizee
August 1st, 2008, 04:05 AM
coming up on two years now, about *counts on fingers* 19 months (late december 2006).

started off my first linux experience with ubuntu and i'm still here, though i've played around with lots of live cds and used puppy on another machine in that time. i switched from regular to xubuntu when gutsy came out.

david_lynch
August 1st, 2008, 05:08 AM
I've been running linux since 1993, and have used lots of distros. Our house has been microsoft free for about 3 years now, all linux and mac.

I started looking at ubuntu during the hardy betas, and pretty much switched to ubuntu after hardy came out. So I've been an ubuntu user for a few months now.

Traumadog
August 1st, 2008, 06:55 AM
I've been using Ubuntu for a year and a half to run my file and web servers.

Circus-Killer
August 1st, 2008, 07:02 AM
been distro hopping since '98, switched to ubuntu in 2004, warty.

NikoC
August 1st, 2008, 07:02 AM
Think about half a year before I joined the forum... beginning of 2005.

Living2007
August 1st, 2008, 07:03 AM
I've stopped due to my Modem. GRR!:mad:

chris4585
August 1st, 2008, 07:11 AM
I've used Ubuntu since early December 2007, so under a year, since then my knowledge has leaped, before that i toyed with distros a year before that though

Iceni
August 1st, 2008, 07:59 AM
Since easter 2007. Funny how I thought myself a power user when I was using windows, but nowadays I'm still a newbie and learning every day.

ghindo
August 1st, 2008, 08:08 AM
I think I started out with Ubuntu 6.10, so about two years. I still haven't gone Linux-only, as I still use Windows for games. I know I can use Wine, but it's just not the same as a native install.

boom2k1
August 1st, 2008, 10:56 AM
I use Ubuntu since 2 years ago and first installed it on my laptop. There were many adjustments I had to make when I first attempted to switch. Back then, hardware and software support were far from smooth, and I was especially disturbed by all the fstab, xorg.conf, modprobe (darn wifi), kernel patching, and 10 command line steps that would be needed to configure the system/hardware the way I wanted. I sticked and made Ubuntu my only OS when I bought a new computer last year - of course, I made sure all the hardware would be compatible before I bought them.
The software have all come a long way too. When Skype finally introduced the webcam support for Linux, I hardly ever have to envy anything from Windows anymore! I don't hate Windows, but Ubuntu is just slicker to me.

The only time I fired up Windows in recent months was when I had to re-flash my router.

lazerradial2003
August 1st, 2008, 11:55 AM
I used it for about a year, then went back to windows for a year (I had a bizare hardware configuration which was giving me problems) and the switched back to Ubuntu about 3 weeks ago. First time using Hardy and wow, all of the little things that used to bug me in Dapper have just gone, install on my laptop was painless, with everything working out of the box and install on my oddly configured Desktop was almost as easy and significantly more worked out of the box than ever did in windows.

Have a feeling I won't be going back this time!

AndyCooll
August 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
Since July 2005 (Hoary Hedgehog), so that's about three years now.

First installed Linux in June 2005 (Fedora) and moved to Ubuntu in July. And our house has been Linux only since December 2005.

:cool:

Malac
August 1st, 2008, 01:11 PM
Since Breezy Badger, so end of 2005.
Tried various distros always had ubuntu since then though.
Still have XP and 98 installed but can't remember the last time I used either at home.

hellmet
August 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM
I've been using Ubuntu since Breezy, and I continue to do so.

sharks
August 1st, 2008, 01:31 PM
just 1 and a half yrs

flytripper
August 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM
2 months no windows at all woot

flytripper
August 1st, 2008, 01:40 PM
whoever says linux is not desktop ready is either: 1.retarded. 2 a troll. 3.up microsofts proverbial.

seatex
August 1st, 2008, 05:08 PM
I started using ubuntu 7.04, a year and a half ago. I switched to kubuntu shortly afterwards, but switched back to ubuntu (GNOME) with 8.04.

I have also tried other distros (openSUSE 11 most recently), but I keep coming back to ubuntu. It just works! And it keeps getting better and better.

I completely dropped XP from my system after using ubuntu for 1 year, and I haven't missed it the past 6 months. 64 bit ubuntu runs great on my laptop!

kevin11951
August 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
3 years...

oldsoundguy
August 1st, 2008, 06:15 PM
My first Linux was Mandrake 4 .. I tried and tried to get a system that would cover 90% or plus of my computing needs .. up through and including Fedora 8. Then a friend (actually two of them) told me about Ubuntu. I installed 7.10 on my first machine when it came out. Then I put it on two more machines on my net .. satisfied was not the word!
Now it is the primary on my network with a Windows box in my guest room for guests that are terrified of anything non Windows (it still is on a KVM with a Gutsy machine) .. and a Windows box in my Media room (also on a DVI KVM with the box I am using for this posting) .. I am still investigating media possibilities so those can be switched over .. plus need something to run my several thousands of dollars worth of ADOBE programs! (amateur photographer) (WINE does not cut it yet nor does GIMP .. close, but not quite! No way to color calibrate easily yet ... And Virtual does not appeal to me!)

NO DUAL BOOTING .. everything on it's own machine!

Vegabondsx
August 1st, 2008, 07:29 PM
I tried Ubuntu 4 shortly after it came out and have played around with each of the releases a little since then. I haven't used Ubuntu heavily until I bought my EeePC a few months ago. I not use it daily (although not as a primary OS)

Kingsley
August 1st, 2008, 07:32 PM
I like to think I've been using it for 15 years.

cardinals_fan
August 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
I started just over two years ago with Dapper Drake (6.06).

xpod
August 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM
I started just over two years ago with Dapper Drake (6.06).

Me too.

FuturePilot
August 1st, 2008, 07:37 PM
2 years for me.

Started when Ubuntu 6.06 was released.

dca
August 1st, 2008, 07:38 PM
All out, desktop and servers was when 6.06LTS (Dapper Drake) came out. That was a solid release (except for the whole 'X' update fiasco). Prior I merely plinked around with them, gave them a go after each release but usually removed and either went back to SuSE or Mandrake.

t0p
August 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM
I started using Ubuntu with Breezy - that was version 5.10, so I've been at it for about 2 and a half years. But I didn't get into it seriously until Feisty, and Ubuntu became my sole OS when I installed Hardy a couple of weeks ago.

Sealbhach
August 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
Since Hardy.

Never used anything but windows before that.

It's a great feeling of freedom. New vistas have opened up.:)

wootah
August 1st, 2008, 07:51 PM
6.04 for me as a dual boot.

Now it's 100% Linux for me, hell, I even have a shirt: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/itdepartment/59ce/ that my kind friends bought me for my birthday. It's funny when I'm at a bar and someone knows what my shirt is about :)

To the above poster, I would say Linux is about 85%-90% ready for the desktop. The recent break with Atheros has really done lots; but still, graphics drivers need more push. They are completely amazing compared to the crap that we had to deal with a few years ago, but dual monitors still need easier setup for the common person.

For me, Linux is 100% ready for the desktop. For my mom, it's 85% there--100% after I set it up.

That's just my side opinion I guess :)

SpaceMaster
August 1st, 2008, 07:52 PM
by now... about 20 months. I would have converted 2 weeks sooner, which would have been to Dapper Drake. However, a friend convinced to wait until the release of Edgy Eft, since it was so close at the time.

arsenic23
August 1st, 2008, 07:58 PM
I switched from messing with Fedora, Debian, and Suse, to using Ubuntu (and later Debian and Arch) as my main OS.... That would have been back in late 2005 with Breezy.

Darkade
August 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM
Just a year last week :D:D:D And about 10 months of just using Linux

collinp
August 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM
I have been using Ubuntu/Linux for almost 1 1/2 years, loving it all the way. I have been completely Windows free for that entire time :).

iamBevan
August 1st, 2008, 09:59 PM
Since my joining date :P

cybrsaylr
August 3rd, 2008, 06:02 AM
About a year now. Started with Fedora then switched to Feisty. Now have Hardy as a dual boot on my 2 PCs. I use linux 95% of the time now and don't really need Windows anymore.

Jim!
August 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
About 11 months to a year now.