PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Should I build my own computer or buy a laptop?

nerd0795
August 1st, 2008, 02:43 AM
Well, recently I'm saving up alot of money for a $1000 price ranged computer (with desktop $700) and I can't decide for myself build my own desktop or buy a laptop.

Here's the factors:

If I was to build my own it would be a budget build.
If I was to get a laptop I would try to get a Toshiba Satellite.

-I do use Windows Vista and ubuntu so I will set up a dual boot.

-I do game mildly (Warcraft 3, Halo, Halo 2. I have a ps3 for my gaming.

-I am a High school student taking a technology course. A laptop would be good for it because I rather not use the school's junky dell pc's that are riddled with viruses. They are slow annoying and always crash on me :(

-I do go on a vacation to my family in another province for about 2 months. I would like to bring my laptop down since well... I want to use linux. I am still on vacation and the minute I get home it's ubuntu time!!!

-I want something that will last until Windows 7 is released.

-I want to be either a computer repair person or computer programmer (with my own independent software company (for my income) and opensource to help out the linux community) Do you know which job would be higher paying?

-I'm obsessed with computers.

-I never built my own.

-I'm kinda of easy for me to get nervous... lol I was helping a friend build a computer (I only got to screw in a few screws and put in the ram) and I was nervous opening the box for the processor. I was nervous of touching the case. though it could be because I didn't have money at the time. (note: A computer repair person was showing me how)

-I like to use Sony vegas. Though only the trial lol. I need to save up.

-I will make a youtube channel dedicated to Windows and linux tips and tricks. I might make a blog to it. Does anybody know how to prevent a blog from being exploited? I want to make a blog but I'm afraid that it will be hacked.

-I will be taking computer graphics in High School next year.

-I live in a rural community so it would be hard to get the parts. (But I'm gong by airpplane and I will land in Kelowna which is bound to have a shop dedicated to computer parts). I rather not shop online. For the reason shipping might take forever. and it's time consuming to return.

-I am only 14

Please forgive me if this does not belong here. I really didn't know where to post this. Please move it to where you think it should be.

Thank you.

sharks
August 1st, 2008, 02:49 AM
As for as Vista is concerned , u should build ur own computer or try to buy a laptop installed with LINUX

nerd0795
August 1st, 2008, 02:56 AM
As for as Vista is concerned , u should build ur own computer or try to buy a laptop installed with LINUX

I wouldn't be able to find laptop parts. Without shopping online which is a big no no.

sharks
August 1st, 2008, 03:02 AM
buy a dell laptop which comes with ubuntu

nerd0795
August 1st, 2008, 03:05 AM
buy a dell laptop which comes with ubuntu

No, because they over price the hardware. they lower the specs that if it had Windows. I rather have a Toshiba with VISTA PRE INSTALLED.

Then install Ubuntu.

Erdaron
August 1st, 2008, 03:06 AM
Buy a ThinkPad notebook. You can use it to smash Toshibas.

Personally, I'd say mobility is more fun. I have a desktop and a laptop, but if I were to have just one machine, I'd go for a laptop. You can always just get an extra display, a mouse, and a keyboard and pretty much fake a desktop with it anyway.

And for mobility, ThinkPads are tough and reliable. I don't have a special carrying case for my Lenovo (a fork of the ThinkPad brand), I just toss it in my bag and take it everywhere. It quickly wakes up from hibernation, has excellent wirless, so I can be up and running in less than a minute pretty much anywhere.

And while you can't mess with the hardware as much, you can still do all kinds of coding and configuration stuff.

tuxxy
August 1st, 2008, 03:07 AM
BUild a desktop, can you get any more fun.. :)

nerd0795
August 1st, 2008, 03:08 AM
Buy a ThinkPad notebook. You can use it to smash Toshibas.

Personally, I'd say mobility is more fun. I have a desktop and a laptop, but if I were to have just one machine, I'd go for a laptop. You can always just get an extra display, a mouse, and a keyboard and pretty much fake a desktop with it anyway.

And for mobility, ThinkPads are tough and reliable. I don't have a special carrying case for my Lenovo (a fork of the ThinkPad brand), I just toss it in my bag and take it everywhere. It quickly wakes up from hibernation, has excellent wirless, so I can be up and running in less than a minute pretty much anywhere.

And while you can't mess with the hardware as much, you can still do all kinds of coding and configuration stuff.

I heard about Thinkpads. I'll see if the store I'll buy my computer at has it.

Sef
August 1st, 2008, 03:10 AM
-I'm obsessed with computers.

-I never built my own.

Build your own.

Take your time when you are building it.

Stop if you get frustrated.

Read, play a game, or do something else for a bit.

Continue after you do not feel frustrated.

The first time is the hardest.

You will feel really good once you build your first one.

nerd0795
August 1st, 2008, 03:16 AM
Hmm....... this is going to be fun deciding :lolflag:

nerd0795
August 1st, 2008, 03:20 AM
Maybe, I can build my own computer. Save up for Sony vegas. Then go and buy a laptop. That sounds good. so then I have a desktop for my every day computing. Then a laptop for portability :)

nerd0795
August 1st, 2008, 03:21 AM
Does anybody know a Full Indepth guide to building one. Telling you the different screws and where they go. I found the different types of screws confusing. I'm going to be building an Intel machine.

Icehuck
August 1st, 2008, 03:30 AM
Does anybody know a Full Indepth guide to building one. Telling you the different screws and what they do. I'm going to be building an Intel machine.

Well screws do vary by manufacturer but they do come with instructions on where to put things. Putting a machine together these days takes next to no time. You don't have to worry about dipswitches and almost never have to mess with jumpers. Honestly, installing an OS is more time consuming then putting a computer together.

Laptop or desktop? Laptop hands down every time. Use it while relaxing at the beach, in the yard, it goes to the library, and even use it while in bed. Or you can be tied to your desk.

dracule
August 1st, 2008, 03:32 AM
-I want to be either a computer repair person or computer programmer (with my own independent software company (for my income) and opensource to help out the linux community) Do you know which job would be higher paying?

what the hell?

what does this point have to do with a desktop vs laptop?

chances are you wont have your own software company, unless you find a niche market.

geekygirl
August 1st, 2008, 03:33 AM
If you have $1000 as a budget, you can build yourself a decent 'budget' desktop gaming PC, and with the change buy a notebook for 'on the road'

If you want to game (thats any sort of 3D game) on a notebook you will be looking to spend s bit more money to ensure reasonable dedicated graphics, as well as a decent amount of memory and a CPU.

For far less you can get a gaming desktop that whilst it isnt as mobile you dont have to worry about what hardware it is using (and if it works with ubuntu in a dual boot setup, because you buy what you know already works!), as well as having far superior specs to a laptop in the same sort of price range.

If you do want the portability for school usage you are probably going to be looking for something reasonably portable (15.4" and under) because if having to carry it around with you - a notebook probably shouldn't be left in a locker! so you can often pay more the smaller and more portable/powerful you go.

How often would you realistically expect to carry your notebook around? Everyday? Or every now and then?

Have you considered using Ubuntu or XP booting from a USB stick on your schools PC's instead? Would negate the need to have to lug a notebook around and you have exactly what you need on a USB stick, and you can get ones to 32gb now!

Another option is building a PC with fairly decent specs and using something like an EeePC, MSI Wind, Acer Aspire One or other such 'net books' out there to use for notes and school and travelling around. You can also play some games as well ;) That way your 'netbook' is more of a desktop extension, but cheap enough to allow having both a desktop and 'notebook'

If you are taking a computer graphics course next year, get a desktop, processing power you can buy and the graphics capability you can get with a desktop would far outweight the need to be able to avoid using a schools crappy PC with your own notebook that may or may not be up to the task. Some of things you mention you want to use your computer for I would get a desktop anyways as it is upgradeable, and you get far more performance for the money.

As for a notebooks survivability with regards to Windows7...theres another reason you would be better off with a desktop - hardware specs are yet to be released for that, and there will be newer notebook hardware by the time it gets released, making anything bought soon look possibly quite outdated by the time Windows7 comes out...

As for the job that would pay more? I think you will find a programmer would get paid a lot more than a PC hardware techo as it takes a lot more time and effort to get qualified as a programmer, however dont let money be the only motivating factor when choosing a career as you will soon find yourself miserable and not doing what you really enjoy doing for living (and why are you worried about how much money you might earn in the future at 14 anyways lol) :)

nerd0795
August 1st, 2008, 03:33 AM
Laptop or desktop? Laptop hands down every time. Use it while relaxing at the beach, in the yard, it goes to the library, and even use it while in bed. Or you can be tied to your desk.

Yea I know... but building a desktop seems like so much fun. But then a laptop is easy to steal. Which I would lose it if my laptop got stolen. I think I'll go for building my own desktop then buy a laptop.

nerd0795
August 1st, 2008, 03:37 AM
As for the job that would pay more? I think you will find a programmer would get paid a lot more than a PC hardware techo as it takes a lot more time and effort to get qualified as a programmer, however dont let money be the only motivating factor when choosing a career as you will soon find yourself miserable and not doing what you really enjoy doing for living (and why are you worried about how much money you might earn in the future at 14 anyways lol)

Money isn't a factor I'm just curious. I love fixing computers. I am trying to learn computer programming. If I like it more then fixing computers I'll be a computer programmer.

actually there's no reason why I can't do both. Release a few programs. Put them online for a few bucks. Then be a computer repair person. Then I really get to have a great job.

nerd0795
August 1st, 2008, 03:46 AM
I have finally made up my mind. Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have decided to build my own budget desktop. and buy an asus eee pc or another cheap laptop.

*DANCE TIME*

"We did it, we did it hooray :)
You've helped me decide on what I shall invest in
We did it, we did it hooray "

Sorry I couldn't resist :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

PurposeOfReason
August 1st, 2008, 03:47 AM
Well screws do vary by manufacturer but they do come with instructions on where to put things. Putting a machine together these days takes next to no time. You don't have to worry about dipswitches and almost never have to mess with jumpers. Honestly, installing an OS is more time consuming then putting a computer together.

Now go and watercool that laptop and do a +1.2GHz overclock on it. Get a +20" screen and call it portable. Compile a kernel in < 3min. Play Crysis on all high settings. People have different needs.

BloGTK
August 1st, 2008, 03:48 AM
Have you considered something like an EeePC? It's a bit hard to type on (but if you're 14 you shouldn't have too much trouble), but it is cheap and it will do what you want it to do -- in fact, it will even run older versions of Vegas.

You should be able to build a good desktop for your budget as well. A good life lesson to learn is always shop around - even if you don't buy online, spec out your system online and see what the average prices are. A lot of computer stores, especially small ones and large chains have very high prices. It's a pain to wait for shipping, but being patient can pay off!

As for building your own machine, it's not hard. Don't worry too much about what screws go where. You should get instructions when you buy your case. The other nice thing is that Intel processors are VERY easy to install now - no more having to snap heat sinks in place. Just be sure to take things slow and not rush yourself.

As for programming versus computer repair, see what interests you the most. There is good money in both, but programming requires a lot of skill and training. Try an easy language like Python to get a taste of how things work, and see if it works for you. Don't worry about what pays the most now - find what you enjoy and you'll be much happier.

nerd0795
August 1st, 2008, 03:54 AM
but if you're 14 you shouldn't have too much trouble

I will buy that after I build my own desktop.

Anyways... I am 6 feet tall...

tiachopvutru
August 1st, 2008, 03:55 AM
Well... I built my desktop last year when I was your age (14 turning 15 that time), so I don't think you will have a problem if you are being careful. It will take quite a bit of time, though, since it'll be your first try.

Also, find a trusted forum to ask for help in choosing components and for help during the building process... I might have screwed up badly if I didn't have help online. :)