PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering to write an article

gunksta
July 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
I thought I would drop in here and volunteer to write an article for Full Circle. On August 16th, I will be volunteering for a summer fun-day for disadvantaged kids in my home town. My girlfriend, the artist, is setting up an art center for the kids to experience art. I am not permitted to touch a paint brush, but I can do computers. So, I'm going to set up several laptops on a bench and let the kids work with the Gimp and Inkscape for the afternoon. Yes, all of the machines present will run our favorite operating system, although I kinda doubt the kids will care. :)

I have a digital camera and will interview several of the participants for fun quotes.

I'm interested to see if the Full Circle Magazine is interested in this sort of an article (if not, that's cool) and I'm very interested in getting any suggestions or requests you all may have.

ronniet
August 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM
I thought I would drop in here and volunteer to write an article for Full Circle. On August 16th, I will be volunteering for a summer fun-day for disadvantaged kids in my home town. My girlfriend, the artist, is setting up an art center for the kids to experience art. I am not permitted to touch a paint brush, but I can do computers. So, I'm going to set up several laptops on a bench and let the kids work with the Gimp and Inkscape for the afternoon. Yes, all of the machines present will run our favorite operating system, although I kinda doubt the kids will care. :)

I have a digital camera and will interview several of the participants for fun quotes.

I'm interested to see if the Full Circle Magazine is interested in this sort of an article (if not, that's cool) and I'm very interested in getting any suggestions or requests you all may have.

Absolutely!

It's up to you how you structure the article but be sure to include some photo's and what you had installed on the machines (just an average of what you installed, you don't have to list each machine :) )

If you can email the article in before 7th Sept, then I can probably put it in FCM #17.

Thanks!
:KS

fiddler616
September 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
for disadvantaged kids
I've seen techier types (including myself) be somewhat baffled at using the GIMP (apart from very, very basic freehand lines). So I humbly suggest something like TuxPaint. Or maybe one of the many Paint clones/spin-offs...