PDA

View Full Version : Linux friendly Ipod killer Samsung YP-P2

jeyaganesh
July 31st, 2008, 07:58 PM
I bought Samsung YP-P2.It has touch screen, blue tooth and text support.
It supports .ogg too. Banshee detects it without any problem or intalling any software. So far I used the software comes with the player on windows for music transfer.

It is a great music player. Those people who search for alternative to iPod, buy this. Even iPod lovers dont hesitate to try this more comforatble player. It really rocks.:popcorn:

Ebuntor
July 31st, 2008, 08:35 PM
I watched a review of the P2 and it indeed does look like a great player. The touch screen seems very responsive compared to other players I've seen.

You said it's Linux friendly, does it also function as a normal storage device?

aktiwers
July 31st, 2008, 09:41 PM
Yeah it looks nice!

Found a review here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/samsung-yp-p2-8gb/4505-6490_7-32588459.html

dracule
July 31st, 2008, 09:50 PM
I really wanted one, but at the time i bought it, it was considerably higher than my Zune.

I really like my zune, has everything i want. I just wished it worked in linux.

dje
July 31st, 2008, 09:52 PM
i like my sony walkman nwz-a818 and its compatible with linux

init1
July 31st, 2008, 09:58 PM
iPod killer? Not even close. It can't even access the Internet.

amazingtaters
July 31st, 2008, 10:22 PM
What kills it for me is that it's only 8 gigs. I've filled my 30gig iPod video (5th Gen) and my music collection keeps growing. When it dies I'll definitely be upgrading to an 80 gig, so a player like this just wouldn't cut it. It does look pretty though, and seems like a good choice for those who don't need much space.

FlyingIsFun1217
July 31st, 2008, 10:36 PM

You and me both. It's OS-specific support and short battery life (30 gig) are to me the ONLY downfalls with it.

FlyingIsFun1217

jeyaganesh
July 31st, 2008, 11:49 PM
Ebuntor - it is not a storage media.
Init1- yes it has no internet connection. I have Nokia N95. If I browse internet on N95 for 20-30min, battery will go down tragically. I think it is true for most of the small devices. So I dont want internet on my mp3 player.
Amazingtakers- It currently has 2,4,8 and 16 GB models. It is drawback for people who wants to store more songs and videos.

Video quality of the Samsung P2 is great. Anothing, in Cnet review and some other reviews, they mentioned that P2's touch screen is not precise. But it works excellently with me even with the screen protector.

It doesnt come with battery charger like cell phones. It can be charged only with usb connection to computers.

More than 90% mp3 players are ipod, so I selected this for my own style :)

cardinals_fan
July 31st, 2008, 11:55 PM
I hate my iPod. It feels like cheaply made trash - and works like it too. I'll look at this next time I'm in the market.

geoken
August 1st, 2008, 12:23 AM
Actually the P2 can function as a normal storage device. I had one a couple months back and it was dead easy to switch it.

All you need to do is download the UMS firmware (as opposed to the MTP firmware on the device) and edit a line in a text file from 'MTP' to "UMS". Then you drag and drop the firmware file and text file on to the players root. Reboot the player and it will now appear as a 2/4/8 gig usb drive.

dracule
August 1st, 2008, 03:11 AM
I only filled up 2gb of my zune lol.

I got the 8gb.

I like it because it fits easily into my pocket and it is very light so i dont even feel it.

I prefer players be small, then and light, than larger and have big capacities.

I like to use it when I mow, walk, ride in the car.

I doubt that I could get a bigger one in my pocket.

jeyaganesh
August 1st, 2008, 07:44 AM
Samsung P2 is approximately just the width of ID cards and 2cm lengthier than the ID cards.:)

ghindo
August 1st, 2008, 08:12 AM
I'm still waiting for a portable music player that:

Is Linux-friendly
Supports ogg, FLAC
Is easy to use
Has at least 80 GB of storage
Until then, my wallet is, unfortunately, closed.

spanella47
August 15th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Actually the P2 can function as a normal storage device. I had one a couple months back and it was dead easy to switch it.

All you need to do is download the UMS firmware (as opposed to the MTP firmware on the device) and edit a line in a text file from 'MTP' to "UMS". Then you drag and drop the firmware file and text file on to the players root. Reboot the player and it will now appear as a 2/4/8 gig usb drive.

Banshee sees mine, but doesnt manage everything. Gnomad2 and qlix don't see it.

where did you get the UMS firmware?

Jimmey
August 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Trusted reviews says of the YP-P2 -
The YP-P2 doesn't have the world's greatest file format support. All you get for music is MP3 and WMA (both protected and unprotected)

Is it only certain models that support OGG?

It also says

And despite the fact that you can drag and drop to it, it's only an MTP device. So it'll work with Windows Media Player in Windows and not much else; Linux and Mac OS users will miss out.

Does the player work in Ubuntu by default, or do you need to play the firmware trick?

tdrusk
August 26th, 2008, 10:19 PM

Is Linux-friendly
Supports ogg, FLAC
Is easy to use

ipod 5.5 gen 80 gig with rockbox will do that.

junior aspirin
August 26th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Does the player work in Ubuntu by default, or do you need to play the firmware trick?

My sister has this player, the UK version supports OGG, although it doesnt advertise the fact.

Should work by defult in Ubuntu (not tested) it is a standard MTP device.

Still waiting for a media player that is 80gig plus, with ogg support, not an iPod and not silly expensive.

keiichidono
August 26th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I really wanted one, but at the time i bought it, it was considerably higher than my Zune.

Have you tried using your Zune with Songbird? I'm interested in whether the Zune will work with Songbird because it has Zune support or not. Can you check that out for me?

isaacj87
August 27th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I just picked up a Creative ZEN 4gb for $79.99 from my local Fry's and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. I already have an iPod, so I was looking for a decent flash-based player. The ZEN definitely fits the bill. :)

Here's a cnet review (even though I don't like them): http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/creative-zen-4gb/4505-6490_7-32589082.html?tag=mncol;lst

_sAm_
August 27th, 2008, 02:37 AM

Is Linux-friendly
Supports ogg, FLAC
Is easy to use
Then you should check out Cowon, witch makes the best players there is when it comes to sound, with support for both ogg and flac, will work with Linux and so on.

barbedsaber
August 27th, 2008, 03:11 AM
ipod 5.5 gen 80 gig with rockbox will do that.

I was thinking that, as well. I was also thinking, no one should have to buy an mp3 player, with the intention of changing the firmware. just my 2 cents.

Then you should check out Cowon, witch makes the best players there is when it comes to sound, with support for both ogg and flac, will work with Linux and so on.
woah, http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_X5_feature.php
is this love at first sight?

Jimmey
August 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I'm probably going to buy a cowon - Does anyone own one? What are they like?

Thanks

jacob733
September 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM

I'm not sure. The one I have (16GB Korean model) does support OGG with no problems.

My device pops up in Ubuntu 8.04 with no magic at all. There are no modifications to the firmware.

My biggest problem is with video files. They must have very specific parameters and be renamed to .svi in order to be recognized by the P2. But I have managed to find a set of parameters to transcode that works so it is just a matter of time and fine-tuning for it to work properly. On first try I messed up and ended up with a file without audio track. That was enough for the player to reject the file.

mips
September 22nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
woah, http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_X5_feature.php
is this love at first sight?

Must say that looks really good.

andrewjoy
January 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I have the 16 gb P2 and it blows the iPod touch out of the water the sound quality is far better ( and yes i have used both) it looks better its smaller and it costs a little les,s who needs an mp3 player with games and a motion sensor on i know i dont.

The bluetooth on it is far more usefull than you would think it would be you can use it to recive and send ( yes send) phonecalls form any bluetooth enabled phone.

It can be switched to UMS mode with a little hack when updating the firmware and i pref it that way altho there are apps that support MTP in linux i hate the silly pointless protocall so i am keeping my one as UMS as i can use it to store data then as well.

The video files are a pain but i have my creative Zen vision for that so i got the player knowing that i would never use the video on it so if you want video look at another device

emshains
January 10th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Well, the touch may not be linux friendly, but if anyone could tell me how to mount a ssh device's folder as a filesystem, then I could sync my iphone.
And the touch has a bigger screen for movies, a browser, wi-fi etc.

dpj23
January 12th, 2009, 02:58 AM
what program is being used to transfer music to the device??? I bought the Samsung device to use with my 8.04 computer... would like to get it up and running... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

gletob
January 12th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Hey I have the iPod touch and I love it. I can check my email real quick before I leave for the bus. And using it as an MP3 only the battery life is relatively good use it for internet and games then "20% Battery remaining" nag screens in no time and of course you have to have iTunes but I'm keeping my firmware version at the point I got it at (2.1) and hoping for a jailbreak that will allow me to load music on it from linux soon.

SomeGuyDude
January 12th, 2009, 04:06 AM

You do realize that only one of the four models on the iPod line accesses the internet, right? And the one that does is, oh, $150 more for the same amount of storage.

I'll happily save $150 and lose a wireless connection on my music player. My phone does that just fine and I don't have to leech a wireless connection, I can just use Verizon's EV-DO network. Wireless capability is pretty useless to me, not enough hotspots to make it practical.

ritckare231
March 8th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I've got the Samsung P2. I saw a few questions here - just skimming through - that I'll try to answer.

A 16 gig version does exist, but I haven't seen it in Canada. I bought mine in Canada for $120 dollars, including optional two-year warranty, at a doorcrasher sale. I think normal price was $180 sans warranty.

It comes with a program called EmoDio, but works as a simple drag-and-drop. In other words, you don't need a program at all to sync music, video, text, or pictures, though pictures and video need to be 480x272 (16:9) or less. .jpg only for pictures, .wmv, .mpeg4, .svi for video.

The drive can be used as simply storage, but the mp3 player doesn't distinguish this from it's other data. So if you put an mp3 on it, it will show up in "songs," whether you want it to or not. It's possible this can be changed; but I haven't tried fooling with the firmware at all.

I know other people have had success using the P2 with their Linux computer, but I personally didn't. I also know the drive can be formatted like any other storage, so it could be I have it set to NTFS, or that, being as new to Ubuntu as I am, I just need to spend more time on it.

As far as I know, all versions support the same formats, including ogg, wma, and mp3, among others.

It has stunning sound quality, especially once you start playing with the DNSE sound equalizers. I haven't used the iTouch, but I can vouch the sound is far and beyond the new nano. If you buy it, it comes with decent headphones, but this mp3 player really deserves a higher-end pair.

EmoDio is basically an iTunes clone, including it's own store. The website the store syncs with gave me trouble registering as a Canadian, but it has some interesting apps. The P2 comes with a few games and an interesting app that shows subway maps in all the major cities of the world.

Cons to consider: prefers .svi for video, a filetype of Samsung's own design. Either install EmoDio, which is Windows only, or the multi-platform jSVIcoder (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Encoders-Converter-DIVX-Related/jSVIcoder.shtml). Has no staring or rating system in the original firmware. Has no search feature for finding songs. EmoDio, which seems to be the only spot to buy games, has occasional fits of Engrish. Nothing too bad, though.

[/infodump]

If anyone has any other questions on this player, feel free to ask me, and I'll answer to the best of my ability. Personally I'd like some search or rating features for this player and would consider an alt firmware for it.

andrewjoy
March 12th, 2009, 09:50 AM
check this out for putting it into UMS mode

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25784

andlinux21
March 25th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I checked out the reviews I just ordered one of these from ebay will report back later.

ninjapirate89
March 25th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Have you tried using your Zune with Songbird? I'm interested in whether the Zune will work with Songbird because it has Zune support or not. Can you check that out for me?

Songbird does not work with Zune in linux and has very limited capabilites in Windows.

izizzle
August 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I am planning on buying the Samsung YP-P2 as well, and I was wondering if anyone had any luck with this player in Linux?

Thanks.

Matthewthegreat
August 13th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I just ordered a Cowon s9 from amazon a few days ago. I can't wait to get it! It looks nice!

Cowon advertises that it works with linux :guitar:

Johnsie
August 13th, 2009, 11:16 PM
There will never be a Samsung Ipod killer. Samsung devices are crap. I've had two Samsung phones and they have been terrible. The latest one was claimed to be an Iphone killer and it sucks.

Saying that my Samsung Omnia can do wi-fi, has 16gb, mobile broadband and can run windows mobile apps and Android. It' just doesn't do it in a pretty way and the media player isn't great. I dont think apple have too much to worry about when it comes to samsung.

izizzle
August 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM
There will never be a Samsung Ipod killer. Samsung devices are crap. I've had two Samsung phones and they have been terrible. The latest one was claimed to be an Iphone killer and it sucks.

Saying that my Samsung Omnia can do wi-fi, has 16gb, mobile broadband and can run windows mobile apps and Android. It' just doesn't do it in a pretty way and the media player isn't great. I dont think apple have too much to worry about when it comes to samsung.

*cough* Samsung P3 *cough*

dragos240
August 14th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I am planning on buying the Samsung YP-P2 as well, and I was wondering if anyone had any luck with this player in Linux?

Thanks.

Look at the first post.

miggas
February 19th, 2012, 06:27 PM

you want a mp3 player to ear music or to go to the internet?:confused:
in that case you have tablet pc, laptop, etc.
but this is a music player

p2 is the best ipod killer i know

nothingspecial
February 19th, 2012, 06:39 PM
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6976/necro2.png