PDA

View Full Version : Sony hacking on windows

ubuntumaneh
November 8th, 2005, 07:37 PM
A lenghty, but useful news. A guy who discovered an almost malicious program in sony cds. In Italy, they seem to try to sue Sony for this problem. More in the following:
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/11/more-on-sony-dangerous-decloaking.html

KingBahamut
November 8th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Yep, and the same rootkit can be used to break WoW (World of Warcraft) blocks to hack your character as well.

I think there is even more extensive reports that say that the same rootkit drops information back to Sony........Sounds vaguely like some type of M$ behavior to me.

Mr. Electric Wizard
November 8th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I think M$ lack of speaking on this subject speaks volumes about their own business practices...

ubuntumaneh
November 8th, 2005, 09:09 PM
They play the smart ass, then they play the dumm ass. That is their business practice. Worse than their business practice, it is their lack of dignity.

gray-squirrel
November 8th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Now, let's see how DMCA plays into all of this. We can't really remove the spyware within Windows because of it, and yet someone could argue later on that using Linux would also count as a violation (i.e., we use Linux to get around the copy-protection scheme). But that would also mean government is infringing on our right to choose what is stored and runs on our computers.

What a paradox.

KingBahamut
November 8th, 2005, 10:11 PM
GS, while an admireable view....that is probably the scariest thing Ive heard yet in relation to this issue.

rubycon
November 8th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I think M$ lack of speaking on this subject speaks volumes about their own business practices...

Yeah it's been real quiet. Considering how they FUD'ed about Blue Ray saying it's copy protection was too heavy :confused: you'd expect them too take this opportunity to bash Sony again, making themselves look like the good guys, when in fact they stand for the exact same buissiness practices.

OT: Must give some credits to your avatar. That is one hell of an album. :cool:

KingBahamut
November 8th, 2005, 10:48 PM
OT: Holger Czukay is still the man, and Monster Movie is still THE album.

kvidell
November 8th, 2005, 11:03 PM
GS, while an admireable view....that is probably the scariest thing Ive heard yet in relation to this issue.
Is that to imply that you see it as a possibility that they'd try to force everyone to run windows under threat of persecution?

What of the people who run it for a server? Is everyone forced to start developing their... everything under a windows platform?

I don't think that would happen, though... There's enough large corporations that do their development under unix platforms to raise a stink and keep it from happening (Sun, Cisco, Juniper..)

It is a scary thought though, anyway.
- K

gray-squirrel
November 8th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Is that to imply that you see it as a possibility that they'd try to force everyone to run windows under threat of persecution?

What of the people who run it for a server? Is everyone forced to start developing their... everything under a windows platform?

I don't think that would happen, though... There's enough large corporations that do their development under unix platforms to raise a stink and keep it from happening (Sun, Cisco, Juniper..)

It is a scary thought though, anyway.
- K

Actually, I was thinking beyond being forced to run Windows, which I don't think is likely to happen either. Let's hope the politicians don't get any ideas, though. ;-) I was actually thinking about the possibility of government/TCPA telling us either directly or indirectly what we could do on a non-TCPA approved system. . . and the potential for what could happen on a TCPA-approved system is something which sends chills down my spine. I mean, if they can get away with DMCA, and we are currently dealing with (ehem, fighting against) TCPA, I can only imagine the ultimate goal if they get their way: control over people and information.