PDA

View Full Version : goodbye mr. gates - hello ubuntu :-)

jhj
November 8th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I've been using various linux-distro's the last few years, suse, mandrake, red hat and fedora have all been tested and played around with. And all this time I've been running windows "on the side". But when i installed ubuntu 5.10 the other day, i knew the time had come. It looks so good I can hardly believe it's for free (!!!) and the installation was like a dream. Everything was up and running after 60 minutes. And when I didn't have to compile Dc++ myself - I'm on! Goodbye and farewell Mr. Gates, I need the diskspace for my /home

Thanx to all of you who dedicate so much time and put so much of your energy into this project. My Computer wouldn't be the same without you!!!

regards
jhj

davidgypsy
November 8th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Ubuntu clinched it for me too! Welcome to digital freedom. :D

blueturtl
November 8th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Had to dual boot for some time, and then I got Cedega for the few games that I play and now Windows is gone. Now seeing a Windows desktop seems utterly weird and wrong.

gray-squirrel
November 8th, 2005, 09:11 PM
I'm encouraged by this news. I recently was able to install SimCity 3000 with wine-20050930 without problems, the first time I was able to install anything with wine. I saw the beta last week, and downloaded that and now it's now waiting for me to install. There are key programs on my computer that I plan test with the beta, and if they work, I'm looking at a truly Windows-free system myself.

For a while, it's been just e-mail, Web surfing, music, and word processing within Kubuntu. Guess I need to take things to the next level now. ;-)

By the way, I can now enjoy playing those old-school Commodore 64 games using VICE (http://www.viceteam.org). Nostalgia at its best.