PDA

View Full Version : Bump Etiquette

Phasmus
July 31st, 2008, 04:31 PM
G'day.

It's time for a borderline frivolous query! What are the 'best practices' regarding thread bumping for technical support queries on the forums?

Waiting a certain number of hours or until the thread is buried a certain number of pages seems prudent. But what is the sweet-spot for getting maximum thread-exposure without appearing rude?

There's also the consideration of preventing the 'unanswered post' search from registering with one's own bump (oh bitter irony).

Does anyone have a preferred method, or is there a sticky post somewhere that offers advice on the matter?

As for the shady tactic of the obfuscated cross-bump... the less said about it the better.

LittleLORDevil
July 31st, 2008, 04:33 PM
If the thread is on the first page don't bump, I see a lot of people doing that. Give the post some time. I usually bump when it is on the 3rd page and on. Patience.

FuturePilot
July 31st, 2008, 04:37 PM
I usually wait at least a day before bumping.

Sef
July 31st, 2008, 05:00 PM
I usually wait at least a day before bumping.

Correct. If you bump less than 24 hours after posting, you can get an infraction.

Phasmus
July 31st, 2008, 05:12 PM
Correct. If you bump less than 24 hours after posting, you can get an infraction.

Wow.. yes.. that's what I needed to know. Where is that documented?

aaaantoine
July 31st, 2008, 05:26 PM
Not only would I wait at least a day to bump, I would try to provide extra information about my problem, hoping that it might help get an answer.

Saying "Bump." just brings the problem to the first page. If the same people are reading it as yesterday, they still won't have an answer for you.

Biochem
July 31st, 2008, 06:44 PM
I wait until it is not on the first page of the unanswered post. Which usually takes more than a day.