PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Toshiba G20 Ubuntu install (BusyBox)

-SCS-t0mas
July 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is Tomas and I am completely new to Ubuntu, but very enthusiastic about it. I have been using windows since my first PC and now feel very tired of having to reinstall it every month or two for it to work properly etc.

Recently I downloaded an ISO of Hardy. But I did not have an opportunity to burn it on a cd. So I searched the web and found out that you can try Ubuntu without having a CD by using a programme called Wubi. I have downloaded the thing, and decided to try it first on my old computer. I followed the instructions and Ubuntu installed without any problems. So I decided to install it on my laptop, which unfortunately (as it turned out) is Toshiba Qosmio G20.

After following the necessary steps in windows and rebooting the computer I get the Ubuntu loading screen, with the bar moving from side to side and then the thing drops me in the BusyBox screen. It does not say anything except that it is BusyBox and something like [initramps]– there is not written anything about problems etc.

I have searched the web and have found some forum threads saying that it might be a problem to install Ubuntu on Toshiba G20 because of HDDs. When the installation brought me to the BusyBox I have also thought that it was due to the HDDs, as even to install windows you have to connect a FDD and load Raid drivers during the installation.

I have browsed through this forum and have found a very interesting thread by Mahon called “Ubuntu on Toshiba Qosmio G20”. In that tread he seemed to have the same problem as me, and someone with a nickname Akre has recommended how to solve this problem. As far as I could understand it all was about blacklisting the ata_piix module. I have read the how-to very carefully, but am still absolutely confused on what I should do. I do not even know how to open terminal before the Ubuntu is installed!

Could anyone please help me to install Ubuntu?

From Russia with love,
Tomas

-SCS-t0mas
July 31st, 2008, 03:28 PM
The thread I was talikg about is here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=551435

-SCS-t0mas
July 31st, 2008, 07:23 PM
Well have tried installing Xubuntu, but still the same problem!

-SCS-t0mas
August 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Pitty that nobody can help :(

Frankiewizard
February 23rd, 2010, 11:21 PM
Hello there Mr T I know it's a bit late two years later but I found your post just last week!I have a Toshiba G20 & have been using it for four years and just a few weeks ago I installed UbuntU 9/10 using wabi "ubuntu in a windows environment" because my cd/dvd does not read burnt cds just originals I ordered and received the cd 9/10 ubuntu"free of charge" reinstalled it with a Grub on the second hard drive now I use windows on 1st disk Ubuntu on the second and everything works like a dream ! ! If you still use the G20 I may be able to explain how to install it.

Regards, :D