PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu with a scanner. WOW!

irv
July 31st, 2008, 03:09 PM
The other day I needed to do some scanning, and seeing I don't use my scanner very much I don't keep it connected to my computer. In fact, I keep it in storage. Well, I have two laptop, one with Vista and the other with Ubuntu 8.04. Seeing I have the Vista running I hook the Canon D660U scanner up to the laptop. It had all the software loaded so it should have worked, but it didn't. I had all kind of issues. I finial shut it down and grab the laptop with Ubuntu on it; plugged in the scanner and opened Xscan. It found it with no trouble. I scanned what I needed into Open Office Write and then Exported it to a PDF file, open firefox and ran the plugin “FireFTP” and uploaded it to my server. Even thought I scanned 4 pages it only took me about 15 minutes. When I was trying this with Vista, I gave up after a half hour.
If you are wondering why I even have Vista, it is because I bought a new laptop and it came with it. I tried Ubuntu on it, but there was so many issues with the hardware I had to go back to Vista. My old laptop has a slower processor and lest memory, but it runs much faster than my new one running Vista.

scottuss
July 31st, 2008, 03:18 PM
You're lucky then! :)

I never managed to get my grandmother's scanner working on her PC running Ubuntu. It picked it up after driver installation but would refuse to scan properly.

I would have posted on here but she was happier using it on her old Win XP Laptop.

Just shows, no OS is perfect for every job!