PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] IBM Thinkcentre / thinkcenter installation

jerryduk
July 31st, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hi, I would like to install Ubuntu on my IBM thinkcentre / thinkcenter. I started with a clean install of Windows and IBM service partition. I used Ubuntu 7.1 which auto installed fine but over wrote the windows partitions. I repartitioned the HD and re-installed windows and the IBM service partition.

I think that the IBM service partition has some sort of boot loader??? I would like to preserve that and be able to switch between windows and Ubuntu.

I wonder if anyone has gone through this exercise and can advise?

wpshooter
July 31st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hi, I would like to install Ubuntu on my IBM thinkcentre / thinkcenter. I started with a clean install of Windows and IBM service partition. I used Ubuntu 7.1 which auto installed fine but over wrote the windows partitions. I repartitioned the HD and re-installed windows and the IBM service partition.

I think that the IBM service partition has some sort of boot loader??? I would like to preserve that and be able to switch between windows and Ubuntu.

I wonder if anyone has gone through this exercise and can advise?

If you install Ubuntu subsequent to installing M/S windows, then a grub bootloader "should" allow you to choose between booting either Windows or Ubuntu. Please note that I said "should". There have been problems in this area, so beware !!!

jerryduk
August 3rd, 2008, 03:26 AM
Thanks.

For anyone picking up this thread you may want to read this article http://www.gawrysiak.org/corvus/?p=4 I am currently working through the suggestions.