PDA

View Full Version : opions on : succes of Open Source

ubuntu_demon
December 21st, 2004, 12:19 AM
Hi,

I discovered an interesting article :

"Why Open Source Isn't Succeeding"
http://linuxblog.sytes.net/index.php?/archives/16-Why-Open-Source-Isnt-Succeeding.html

Opinions please

BWF89
December 21st, 2004, 12:21 AM
Allready read it...

I agree with him on some things, if your company makes a GNU/Linux distro you should donate to keep open source open...

poptones
December 21st, 2004, 12:59 AM
Look at his comments on ubuntu and mandrake 10.1 - he calls the ass-ugly mandrake 10.1 the most "coherent" and attractive click and run desktop, and says he won't even consider ubuntu for his "review."

His comments are ill-informed (or outright lies) and the attitude reeks of snobbery. The funniest part of it is the guy has probably never contributed a single line of source code to "the community" himself.

I make it a habit to avoid blogs of anyone so juvenile as to throw "M$" all over their site.

He's either 12, or he's simply an idiot.

bob k
December 21st, 2004, 01:42 AM
messed up quotes

bob k
December 21st, 2004, 01:44 AM
His comments are ill-informed (or outright lies) and the attitude reeks of snobbery. The funniest part of it is the guy has probably never contributed a single line of source code to "the community" himself.

I make it a habit to avoid blogs of anyone so juvenile as to throw "M$" all over their site.

He's either 12, or he's simply an idiot.

I agree 100%. The guy has no idea what open source is and what the GPL means. I don't think he even mentioned the GPL in his blog.

safecracker
December 21st, 2004, 03:14 PM
He doesn't have a clue, it is apparent he has never seen a corporate software/hardware agreement. He mentions choice being taken away, A company has the choice of who to buy product from if their is something in the agreement they don't like then they have the choice to avoid entering into a contract with them. When it comes to software licensed under GPL companys which provide preconfigured systems only stipulate conditions that cover them for liability or transfer liability to the owner, this means their will be clauses specifying no illegal use and things of that nature.