PDA

View Full Version : A problem with my wireless card?

miggols99
July 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM
I think this is really strange. I bought a new wireless card, with it being advertised as Linux compatible and recommended by someone here on the forums. At first it worked great. Then when I rebooted Ubuntu it suddenly refused to work. Network manager, Wicd and wifi-radar all didn't connect. I even tried to make the network stop using WPA, but it still didn't connect. The module is rt61pci I think...or something like that.

miggols99
August 1st, 2008, 08:53 AM
*bump*

And also, it can detect wireless networks, and it can't connect in Windows either...

perce
August 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM
If it doesn't work in two different OSs than you probably have a hardware problem.

miggols99
August 1st, 2008, 06:41 PM
If it doesn't work in two different OSs than you probably have a hardware problem.
Well I don't think so...I just loaded up a Kubuntu 8.04 live CD and it's working fine. I'm posting this from it right now. Maybe it's sorted itself out?

*reboots to check if Ubuntu can connect*

miggols99
August 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Ok it looks like the wireless card is actually working fine. In the live CD, it works perfect. But when I install (even on a fresh install) it just doesn't work. Maybe I could try a different distro?

FuturePilot
August 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Perhaps the module isn't getting loaded on an actual install?
I'm not sure what module it uses but if you know you could check with

lsmod

If it happens to not be loaded you could try and load it with

sudo modprobe module-name

Just kind of a guess, might be worth a shot.

miggols99
August 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM
Well I'm sure it is, because it can still detect the wireless networks..I'll try it anyway ;)

miggols99
August 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
Nope, doesn't seem to work. Maybe I should try the 8.04.1 disk instead? Or a different distro?