PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu ICS/DHCP/Samba Server! I've finally made it!!!

PryGuy
July 31st, 2008, 10:00 AM
Hey people!
Just wanted to share my emotions! I have finally set up my Ubuntu Server! It does all I want, Internet Connection Sharing via PPTP, DHCP and File Sharing via Samba! And it's all completely free!

I had a problem with ICS I couldn't solve, most of the sites didn't open from client machines, but my D-Link got broken and I found out that it was the thing to blame.

P.S. I'd love to thank Linus, Rick, Mark and all the Ubuntu Forums members! Just look around and think about the great freedom GPL software gives us!

c2olen
July 31st, 2008, 10:12 AM
Nice work.
Congrats on this.

PryGuy
July 31st, 2008, 10:26 AM
Yet, I'd love to say it again, being configured properly Samba is waaay faster compared to the Windows Networks.

Vishal Agarwal
July 31st, 2008, 10:31 AM
good work you did.

I will like to know the steps you followed. it will help me too.
Also I want to configure a mail server with this.

PryGuy
July 31st, 2008, 10:34 AM
Sure, buddy! PM me your ICQ number or something... ;)

runningwithscissors
July 31st, 2008, 11:11 AM
Yet, I'd love to say it again, being configured properly Samba is waaay faster compared to the Windows Networks.
I don't think so. I've never noticed any significant speed advantage with Samba.
And congrats.
I too run a whole bunch of stuff off my machine (it runs Debian though). webserver, SSH, VPN, jabber server, and a db server. I'd run a mail server as well if the ISP weren't blocking it.

Vishal Agarwal
August 3rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
You can send me at vardanag@yahoo.co.in. Also U can add me in your yahoo messenger list.:)

regomodo
August 3rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
`

PryGuy
August 5th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I want to connect a printer to it. Just to give it a try. It is normally connected to another computer and as I plan to put the server somewhere in a dark corner I do not think this is good for my printer.

SSH is here of course. And I set up a Wi-Fi hotspot. The main problem is DHCP server, I still dunno how to share it on both (eth0 and ath0) interfaces.