PDA

View Full Version : Find me a laptop!

tessmonsta
July 31st, 2008, 04:52 AM
My current laptop seems to have developed a hardware problem -- if I move it, it freezes. I'd like to buy a new system, but I'd like recommendations for what would work well with kubuntu and XP.

My basic requirements are:

dual core 1.7ghz or greater
12" to 15.4" screen, color quality suitable for graphic design.
Ethernet, wireless, VGA out
3 to 4gb max memory
DVD burner 4x or better
250gb+ hard drive
Must look nice!

Things that would be nice include bluetooth, a webcam, and that it'd be a tablet PC.

What do you say, everyone? Can you find me the perfect laptop?

InfinityCircuit
July 31st, 2008, 05:39 AM
I'm not familiar with a tablet PC that also includes a DVD burner for a reasonable price. If you are willing to settle with a non-tablet, I'd recommend a Dell XPS M1330. 13.3" screen, good specs, it's basically their Macbook competition.

tuxxy
July 31st, 2008, 05:45 AM
Dell you can buy with Ubuntu also :)

kspncr
July 31st, 2008, 06:15 AM
Dell you can buy with Ubuntu also :)

Yeah, and those Dells work well with Ubuntu, it makes sense that they would work well with Kubuntu, too, and that seems to be your thing. However, I have not used Kubuntu too much as I am in no way a fan of KDE.

zenwalker
July 31st, 2008, 06:19 AM
Well even HP lappys are good with gud quality hardwares plus works on most Linux distros.

Sef
July 31st, 2008, 07:19 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

Check out System76 (http://system76.com).

ShanaVar
July 31st, 2008, 09:02 AM
Go check out lenovo.com. They got good quality. You might look out for the R series indicating more affordable laptops :). They are worth the money, though they might look a little strange to some people.

tessmonsta
August 4th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I'm not familiar with a tablet PC that also includes a DVD burner for a reasonable price. If you are willing to settle with a non-tablet, I'd recommend a Dell XPS M1330. 13.3" screen, good specs, it's basically their Macbook competition.

That system seems to be in the front running now. I was able to test linux on a few different systems at a store (I was surprised they let me), but they didn't have that particular model.

I tried an HP tablet...needed nvidia drivers
A Sony Vaio CR525...passed with flying colors
A Dell Studio 1535...wireless did not work, although I understand there's a solution via ndis-wrapper.

Thanks everyone!

schmolch
August 4th, 2008, 07:16 PM
If you want a Tablet-PC check out tabletpcreview.com and gottabemobile.com.
Im using a X60T Tablet-PC since 2 years and i love it.

mips
August 4th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Thinkpad and nothing else...

gn2
August 4th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Thinkpad and nothing else...

Ruled out by the "must look nice" requirement..... ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Thinkpads look plug ugly to me.

mips
August 4th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Ruled out by the "must look nice" requirement..... ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Thinkpads look plug ugly to me.

Yip, eye of the beholder. I on the other hand like the way they look. I would pick quality & durability over anyhting else, but thats me.