PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live cd works, install portion of disk is scratched. How to install? No usb

waffleboi9
July 31st, 2008, 01:23 AM
Greetings, I have been googling and searching the forums for a few days now and have yet to find a definitive answer to my question. Here's my situation:

* I have a live cd for 8.04 and can boot into it
* When I try to do an install, it routinely crashes at 67% for the "copying files" part of the install, telling me that there is a hardware i/o error. I get the same result on other computers as well, so I'm guessing the cd is scratched here.
* My BIOS will not allow me to boot from usb or network
* Currently, I have no OS installed on my hard drive
* I have a 20GB harddrive
* I have no access to a cd burner right now, so burning another disk is currently not an option

Here is what I've done thus far:
* Downloaded the appropriate ubuntu 8.04 desktop iso as well as the alternate iso

* read, among other articles/posts: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromWindows

So, I have an idea of what is supposed to happen, but I'm missing a few details. My plan is to:

0) Create a new primary partition of my hard drive to hold the install iso
1) somehow boot into this partition and then install from this partition onto another partition

Is my logic correct? If so, how can I accomplish these steps?

Thank you very very much! I have literally been reading posts for days trying to figure this out, all the while loving the ubuntu live CD, but it's time for a more permanent solution.

Geeke
July 31st, 2008, 06:18 AM
try rubbing toothpaste on the cd and then wiping it off. Try to boot from live cd again and install it. You could also try installing xp on it then doing WUBI and just dual booting. If you need a cd I could send one to you if you want.

waffleboi9
July 31st, 2008, 06:31 AM
Awesome, I will try the "toothpaste" method and get back to you. Thanks

imronak
July 31st, 2008, 07:09 AM
Preferably burn a new cd with installation ISO. :)

waffleboi9
August 1st, 2008, 01:20 AM
Yeah, the toothpaste thing didn't work. I'm going to borrow my friend's comp and burn another disk. I thought I had found out a cool "hard drive only" install method though. Dang.