PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] lost...need guidence

fdny343
July 30th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I've been observing this forum for some time and I must say never have I seen so much helpful advice. I am trying to ditch the bill gates experience by downloading ubuntu.

ubuntu has been downloaded 3 times and all 3 times the download has never appeared on my desktop. I've searched my files and it is no where to be found. after trying to open the file, my cd burner program appears but there is no image to go to.

my laptop is running vista home, but my pc that is currently down uses xp home. should I try fedora or something else. thanks

tamoneya
July 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM
that is pretty odd. Make sure you are using save as and using firefox cant hurt. If you are really having trouble with ISO files you could look into wubi.
http://wubi-installer.org/

Pumalite
July 30th, 2008, 11:29 PM
If you are using Firefox; go to Edit>Preferences and make sure it says 'Save Files To...Desktop'

fdny343
July 30th, 2008, 11:50 PM
thanks for the wubi link. but I want to download it on my laptop and transfer to my pc.

Tsarj
July 30th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Try orderring a cd from ubuntu. I hear they send em free... If not, pay 5 bucks for a cd to run live and even install. Worth the 5 shells...