PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] When I quit, my applications and panels disappear but then it hangs

detrate
July 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM
When I go to log out, shutdown or restart, my applications and panels disappear but then it hangs with but a desktop and icons. I'm able to function with my trusty terminal keybind and gnome-session --failsafe but I'm stuck inside this (corrupt?) session.

Ataris
July 30th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I have this problem every once in a while. Honestly I think there's no way to fix it unless you reinstall the OS, and that would cause more problems for you, no doubt. I think it's just Linux, and you have to live with it.

Even so, do you have the latest drivers?

detrate
July 30th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Yes, most likely the culprit... unless it was the apparent memory overflow I had. All of a sudden gnome flickered and I lost my bookmarks right before I noticed the other problem, so I obviously think they are related.

detrate
July 31st, 2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks to a hot tip from a cool friend I was able to rectify this situation by removing my './gnome2/session' file, then sudo shutdown -r now. Did a reboot after coming back successfully just to make sure and all systems are go :).